25. Uneasy alliance

🐴🐴🐴

Silence.

For so long, George had enjoyed the silence. But now... he hated it.

Dream had been awfully quiet for over an hour. He always talked to George when he was a horse, about life and just random stuff. But now he just walked there beside him, both hands in his pockets and eyes fixed on the dark forest around them.

It felt lonely. Dream probably still couldn't understand it all, and it was impossible to blame him for it. What had happened was a miracle never seen in history before.

Or maybe it had?

George glanced at Dream, and managed to meet his eyes. They were green like the forest again, as they were supposed to.

Dream sighed and gave him a sad smile.

"I'm sorry, George," he said. "I... have to think for a while."

George gently bumped his head into his side. If Dream wanted to think about it all, he could. Maybe he would never stop thinking about it, but that was alright. It was a consequence that had been worth it.

Because now that the secret was revealed and Dream had put two and two together, he knew it had all been worth it.

🐴🐴🐴

The walk back home was longer than expected, a few hours galloping seemed to have taken them surprisingly far away. When they finally started to see the familiar pink flower fields and the ranch on the hill, the sun had already started to rise.

"Here's the plan," Dream said when they got closer. "I'm pretty sure Cassidy stayed here in case we would come back. All we have to do is show her you're a human, recruit her, make you back to normal and take down Paul."

George nodded to show that he agreed, and together they walked in through the entrance to face their enemy.

The big yard wasn't empty. It was a bit unexpected, it was so early not even the birds were awake yet. But the shape standing there was familiar and feminine, with blonde hair that for once wasn't in a ponytail.

"You're back," Cassie said before Dream had a chance to speak. "I've been waiting for you."

"The whole night? That's creepy," Dream dryly responded.

"You can think whatever you want. I take it Paul did not find you yet?"

"He didn't."

"Well, he will now." Cassie reached for her phone, but before she could call Suit man, Dream stopped her.

"Don't! Not yet. We have something very important to say, and we need your help."

Cassie blinked. "You need my help?"

"Yes. We'll tell you while we walk. Can you take us to the closest lake?"

"Lake? Have you lost your mind? You're hunted, and you want to see the lake?"

"Please. It's a long story."