Hope

Oswald's POV

With the help of a few former allies, we managed to get Edward out of prison. Not entirely without some problems. But fortunately, Jim Gordon was too busy to take care of the prison break.

I was somehow really nervous and excited. Now it was going to be the first time Ed would meet Marylin.

How would he deal with her?

Just hoping everything would go well, I got out of the car and together we entered the house.

Calling for Olga, she came out of the kitchen, rocking my (our) daughter in her arms, approaching us skeptically as she saw Ed.

"Hey, sunshine I'm back." I gave her a soft kiss on the little, hairless head.

"Look, who I brought with me." I turned back to Ed and showed the little girl, her father.

"You wanna hold her?" I asked Ed, who just stood there mouth-dead, nodding uncertainly.

Carefully I handed him the little one. Somewhat awkward and tense he took her in his arms. Marilyn seemed to like it as she kicked, making some cute baby noises.

It was notable that he slowly started to relax and it seemed like he was enjoying it too.

"She is so beautiful." He whispered grinning, looking at her in fascination.

"Fortunately, she has good genes." I winked.

• • •

Later that day after I put Marylin to her midday sleep, Ed and I were sitting on the couch, talking a bit while drinking tea.

"I wanted to thank you, Oswald, that you gave me the chance to meet my daughter, I never thought I would say this but I'm glad she is here."

"Me too Ed, me too." I sighed mindlessly.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. It's just... it's hard to believe that after all the horrible events and the abuse of thrust that happened, we are sitting here in peace and drinking tea. It just feels so surreal, like a dream."

"I can't believe it either. A few days ago there was nothing, I wanted to do more than to kill you and feed your offals to the street dogs."

"Funny." I snorted sarcastically.

"I can't even say that I hate you anymore. Your selfless behavior of sacrificing your life for the sake of another surprised me and showed me that you're much more than...Well, what I want to say is that I forgive you even if it was cruel and inhuman what you did to me with Isabella's death but maybe you're right that it would've ended the same way as with Ms. Kringle."

I was surprised by his words, trying to find my voice. "Well I guess, we will never know but I think it's for the better. Plus you weren't exactly a hero with your plan to kill me."

I could see guilt mirroring in his eyes. "I guess we both screwed up pretty bad huh?
But...do you think we could start over again, one day?" He looked at me seriously.

Normally I would have loved to immediately shout yes and jump into his arms. But I was now a different person, which needed time to build up trust again.

• • •

~ Helix❤