The Dinner

Oswald's POV

I was sitting at the dining table, looking at the empty seat opposite of me. I couldn't wait to see him, hoping to finally have the courage to tell him about my feelings. I never thought that I would ever feel more than just 'friendship love' towards the riddler. Never did I thought, I would ever have feelings for anyone.

But it happened...I know that love is the biggest weakness a human can feel but I couldn't say if I would change it if I could. It felt so right and so wrong at the same time that it almost drove me crazy.
There is nothing I could do against it, so I had to tell him before my heart exploded of those damn feelings.

"As I told you, there is something important I—I have t–to tell you, Ed...I know you told me that a man, who feels love, is a weak man but I–I can't help it...I–I love you, Ed..." I stuttered to the empty chair, mentally slapping myself for my unsettled behavior.
I was afraid and excited, not knowing how he would react to my confession.

Maybe he feels the same way?

Maybe he hates me?

Maybe he kills me for it?

This is going to be a long damn night...

Ed's POV

That's the perfect wine for the dinner, I'm going to share with Oswald tonight. I was really curious about what he was going to tell me. Maybe he killed Gordon? A dream would become true.

Crazy little idiot, what would I do without him?

Lost in thoughts, I paid for the wine before, making my way to Oswald's house.

30 minutes later...

I knocked on the door, a few moments later it opened and I faced Oswald, who had a big smile on his face.

"Ed, my friend, come in!" He gestured me to come inside and closed the door behind us.

"Make yourself a home." The new mayor said grinning and walked into another room, I followed him.
My eyes nearly popped out as I saw the big dining table, full of different meals, enough to feed a whole army.
There were candles everywhere and the pleasant warmth of cracking fire spread throughout the room. It was almost a romantic atmosphere.

Urgh, romance...not my specialty...

"Take a seat, please." He offered me a chair and I set down. Oswald walked to the other end of the dining table and sat down.
I waited politely for him to have something to eat before I accessed it myself.

"Mhmm. It tastes delicious! You have a really good cook, Oswald." I said and really meant it, the food was incredible.

"Yes, that's true. I'm really thankful to have her in my household. To be honest, but it's a secret, I wouldn't manage this house without her." The penguin said chuckling.

"Don't worry Cobblepot, I won't tell anyone. By the way, I brought something for us." I pulled the wine bottle out of my backpack, stood up and handed it to him.

"Oh, that's my favorite one. How did you know that?" He asked full of joy.

"My dearest friend, I know much more about you than you think I do." I laughed as he turned his head, looking at me with a pure shocked expression on his face.

"Let's save this good droplet for later." I said when he stared at me without saying a word. Taking the bottle out of his hand, I placed it on the table.

"Everything okay?" I asked a bit confused, as I sat down on my place again, noticing he was looking at me the entire time.

"U-uhm, yes sure. Just lost in thoughts." The man opposite of me said, snapping out of his starring.

We continued eating our meals in silence. But then I remembered why I was actually here.

"You wanted to tell me something important."

He almost dropped his fork as I reminded him. The black-haired man seemed very nervous about it, playing with the fork like a little child.

"Let's finish eating and then we could play a game like chess or something else." Oswald answered, avoiding my piercing gaze.

I just nodded in response. Was it really that bad? I would never judge him if he has done something cruel. I'm as insane as him. I would understand it, no matter what it is.

• • •

~ Helix❤