Birth

Oswald's POV

5 months later...

"Olga would you be so kind and show Dr. Ross the guestroom?"

"Of course, Mr. Cobblepot. Please follow me, doctor."

My due date was going to be in two days, so for my own and the baby's safety, just in case if something unexpected might happen, Dr. Ross offered me to stay at my place.

Though I had no signs that the birth could start soon, anxiety was keeping me awake all day long. Plus the permanent thought that there was no way out to cancel the promise between me and Ed.
It was eating me alive to know that I would only have a few minutes with my baby before he was going to kill me. But I guess that's what it's meant to be a father. Take every risk, every pain, every promise to keep your child safe and that's the only thing I wanted for my unborn. A safe, carefree life.

"Wanna show me the baby's nursery? Just 'cause I'm curious." Dr. Ross suddenly spoke from behind.

"Su-Sure. Follow me." I lead her to the room next to mine, opening the door.
I chuckled, recognizing that her mouth hung open. "Wow...that's...that's amazing!" She barely whispered, slowly entering the room, looking around, stunned.

"Your baby will love it." She turned back to me. "And you will be the best father on this planet."

I smiled spasmodically, fighting against my tears at the very same time.

Oh...How much I wanted to tell her that this happiness wouldn't last long. But I was too afraid that she might leave me alone in this situation because of my decision, so I kept silent.

"You're alright?"

"Yes, yes of course. Just a bit nervous for the big day." Pressing my lips together, I nodded eagerly.

"Don't worry, everything's going to be fine." Encouragingly she patted my shoulder.

Hopefully...

• • •

Later that day, Dr. Ross told me about the birth process, which simply was a C-section. I wasn't afraid about hearing, that my stomach was going to be cut open, wasn't afraid that I'd probably going to lose a lot of blood and die, which I was going to do anyway.

No, my biggest fear was my baby. What if something happens to the little one? What if it doesn't survive the process? Will, there be someone to take care of the unborn? I don't know, how much I could trust the people around me, especially Ed.

I had to be sure that the baby was safe after I died and that someone, who tells one day, who the father was.

• • •

It was in the early morning as I woke up in a torturing pain, crying for help, I managed to stay conscious. Dr. Ross rushed into my room with all of her stuff.

"I-I think it's time," I whispered weakly. She nodded, calling
Olga for help. While my housekeeper managed somehow to help me out of bed. The doctor prepared everything for the C-section.

It was the moment the whole world broke down on me.

"I can't do that. I'm so scared. I can't...please...don't...I-...NOOOO" shaking in immense pain, I sank down crying and screaming in desperation and fear. I just wanted to die...

"Look at me." Olga softly placed her hands on my face. "Everything is going to be alright, you can do this. You are strong."

"Everything is ready." Dr. Ross announced. Both women helped me back on the bed again and the doctor injected the local anesthetic into my arm. "It's better for you to close your eyes during the process, Mr. Cobblepot." The blonde instructed me, so I did what she told.

It was strange, feeling nothing but the pressure on my abdomen. Though I was full of fear, I tried to breathe calm and steady, focusing on all the good old memories of the past, as my mother was still alive...oh how much I missed her. Her soft caretaking personality, her encouraging words, when no one else believed in me. Oh how much I wished she would be here right now.

Suddenly I heard faint, soft crying. Was it done? Instantly I opened my eyes, looking down, regretting it for a second, as I saw my cut open, blood-stained belly. But then I saw it...My baby...my wonderful little baby I've waited for so long to finally see.

"Congratulations Mr. Cobblepot a healthy little girl." Dr. Ross said smiling. As she laid my daughter onto my chest, I felt a firework, shooting through my entire body.

"Marylin," I whispered with tears of pure happiness, kissing her little head.

"Thank you so much Doctor and you too Olga."

"You're welcome." Both said the same time, while they sewed my belly shut.

Everything was so perfect for this one little moment. But then the dark and cruel reality hit me again...Edward...

I looked over to the telephone on the nightstand beside my bed and back to my little daughter, who was resting peacefully. It was pure bliss and immense pain at the same time. But a promise was a promise and I couldn't risk that Edward would hurt her just because of me...

Carefully, I pulled one arm back, grabbing the receiver, dialing Ed's number. In the corner of my eye, I noticed the confused gazes of my two helpers. During all the time, I wasn't able to tell Dr. Ross nor Olga.

"Yes?" I felt my mind spinning as I heard his voice.

"It's time..."

"Perfect. I'll be there in a minute." And he hung up.

• • •

Slowly he approached the bedroom door, I took a last glance at my beautiful, sleeping daughter, pressing one last kiss on her soft skin. "Goodbye, my love," I whispered tearfully and handed her to Olga, who flashed me a sad and disappointed look, leaving the room followed by a confused looking doctor.

Now I was with him. The man I was so madly in love with. Who gifted my life with this beautiful, little human being. But now it was over.

Slowly he raised his gun, pointing it at me. I closed my eyes, ready to face father death.

• • •

~ Helix❤