Wish

Edward's POV

"His condition is bad, the bullet has punctured his liver and left quite a bit of damage, which is why we put him in an induced coma. However, from a medical point of view, there is not much hope that Mr. Cobblepot will make it."

The doctor explained to me. I looked at Oswald, who was covered with cables and hoses and had been in the hospital for almost two days.

"Thank you, doctor." The old man nodded and left us alone.

I sat down beside his bed, taking his bruised hand. "Please wake up Oswald. Marilyn needs you... I need you. God, I'm sorry for all that happened." I whispered sobbing.

• • •

I stayed the whole day at the hospital, not being able to leave his side. But when it started to get dark outside, I had to go back to take care of Marylin. One last time I looked at him, kissing his hand before leaving the room.

• • •

"How is he doing?" Olga, the housekeeper asked me as I entered the house.

"Not good. The doctor said that there is only a slight chance that he will survive."

"This wouldn't have happened if you had treated him differently," she said reproachfully.

"I know Olga. How many times do I have to apologize for this?" I rolled my eyes in annoyance.

"Until your tongue hangs to the ground." She snapped back.

Luckily for me, Marylin started crying from out of the crib. Thus I had a reason to end this annoying conversation.

"Hey, baby girl." I walked over to her, taking her out of her bed. "Are you hungry? Yes, you are." I marched over to the kitchen where I prepared some warm milk for her.

Then I went back, into the living room, sitting down on the couch, and feed her, while rocking her softly in my arms.

Shortly after she fell asleep, so I put the bottle aside and took her into the nursery. "Good night princess." Kissing her softly and I covered her with the blanket.

Tired and exhausted I dragged myself to the guest room. But my head was so full of thoughts and guilty feelings that only after hours of thinking I finally fell asleep.

• • •

It had been already two weeks since Oswald was in Coma. I visited him almost every day, talking and pleading with him to wake up. But sadly there wasn't any sign that he would wake up soon. Because his condition was only improving moderately.

At the same time, I hardly had to deal with massive panic attacks and paranoia, which hunted me through the whole day and night.
It was hard to keep going in this broken condition.
I was just glad that I had someone to focus on, because otherwise, I wouldn't be sure if I'd survive this breathtaking, burdening time.

Oh god. How Oswald must have felt being alone during the pregnancy and struggling with all the new tasks and experiences...

But today's day would be different because I decided, after a long discussion with the housekeeper, to take Marylin with me to the hospital.

• • •

Later at the hospital...

"Hello Oswald, look who I've brought with me today." I tried my best to act normally in this tense situation, but it was anything but easy, knowing that there was only a tiny chance that he would notice this.

Marilyn yawned disinterested, of course, she was too small to understand what was going on. Luckily

I sat on the edge of the bed and entertained the little one by making funny faces and singing a few songs.

"E-Ed?" A weak voice suddenly spoke, causing me to jump up in shock whereby I almost dropped Marylin, who was now crying in shock.

"Oswald!?" I looked down on him confused. He opened his eyes slightly.

"Oh my god! You're awake!" I cried out of pure happiness, quickly calling for a doctor.

Seconds later a whole pack of doctors and nurses rushed into the room, stunning and surprised they looked at the now awoken penguin.

"How is this possible? I mean you were almost dead!" I asked bewildered.

"There is something worth fighting against the death, for." He smiled weakly.

I was so incredibly happy that he made it, but at the same time, I was overcome by a feeling of sadness, because I was certain that he did not mean me.
Sure I could not blame him after all that had happened between us.
But I had actually developed trust in him over the last few days and weeks. And even if I did not want to admit it at first to myself, I felt an honest and profound love for him.
However, I was pretty sure that he would not give me another chance.

I felt my heart acing in pain by this thought. Who would have ever thought that a broken man like me could still feel something like love...

"Ed comes here please," Oswald whispered, while all the doctors were buzzing around, checking and providing him.

I approached the other male hesitantly, rocking Marylin softly, whereby she slowly calmed down again.

"Hm?"

He grabbed me by the jacket, pulled me down to him, and gently connected our lips.

• • •

~ Helix ❤