Phone call

Oswald's POV

Ed and I stayed at the dinner table after we had breakfast.  I was reading the newspaper while he checked some papers for accuracy and looked nervously at his watch all the time.

"Everything okay?" I asked.

"Fine," he responded without looking up from his work.

"You've been checking your watch all morning. You expecting—"

"A call from Isabella." He cut me off and took his teacup. "She's at her librarian conference."

No, she is not.

"Ah. Probably just busy."

"Most likely."

In a way, I felt a bit sorry for him but it had to be his fate to stay with me and our unborn.

"I can imagine librarian conferences can be hectic affairs."

"Not so much," Ed mumbled, biting his lip.

Encouragingly I said: "Well, I'm sure she'll call soon."

Suddenly the phone rang. Ed turned his head abruptly, stood up, and walked over to the telephone.

I had to wipe the grin off my face to keep up appearances.

"Hello." I heard him saying. Silence. "This is Edward Nygma...Why?...Very well." He looked at me coldly.

"That was the GCPD. They want to see me. Wouldn't say why."

"Oh?" Hopefully, it was because of dead Isabella, not something else.

"You don't think something happened..."

Of course, my dumb little boy! Something really bad happened...well at least for you...

"No!" I said quickly, shaking my head. Both of us chuckled nervously.

"Should I accompany you there?"

"Yes...please...that would be nice."

• • •

As we arrived at the GCPD, we explained our request to an officer and he took us to the pathology.

Ed was led to a dissecting table while I waited a few feet away. The pathology pulled back the cloth and revealed isabella's dead body. Poor Ed gasped in shock, shaking heavily.
A man came to me, whispering what happened to her. Though, I, of course, knew it already.

Slowly I approached Edward. "The officer said Isabella blew through a red light and crashed into a train. They think she might have fallen asleep at the wheel. Yours was the last number on the phone. I am...so, so sorry, Ed."

I turned his head halfway. "Did she suffer?"

Devaluating I looked down at her dead body. "No," I responded disgusted. "Anything you need, Ed, anything at all. I am here for you."

He turned fully around, facing me with empty eyes and fell into my arms. A warm tingling feeling floated my body as I held him tightly.

Did I win?

• • •

~ Helix