The feast

Oswald's POV

People were chattering, music was playing as I entered the festively decorated hall. I was about to take a glass of wine, as I remembered my baby. So I waived, instead, I looked around when suddenly someone bumped into me.

“Watch where you going!!” I yelled angrily.

A tall man with long, brown, wavy hair and brown eyes looked at me. "Of course, Mr. Mayor. So sorry." He said scornfully with narrowed eyes and walked away.

I stared after him angrily. "Cretin." Protectively touching my little baby bump.

• • •

"Of course I didn't want to stand in the way of love, but... This woman would be a disaster." I was talking with an old but for her age good-looking woman. She was dressed in a short gray dress, combined with a silver necklace and the matching earrings.

"It sounds as if you did your friend a favor." She said emotionless, taking a sip of her drink.

I smiled "I'm sorry, I have been talking so much. I never asked your name."

"Kathryn."

"Just Kathryn?"

"Mhmm-hmm."

I chuckled. What a strange old woman.

"How did you end up at the Founders' dinner?, If it's not rude of me to ask."

"Not at all. I'm one of Gotham's oldest families. And I'm part of a group, which oversees things."

"What sort of things?" Curiosity hit me.

"Everything that matters in Gotham. We've had our eye on you for some time, Mr. Cobblepot."

I stared at her narrowing.

"Who exactly are you." I became insecure.

A bell was ringing, so that woman walked past me.

"We'll contact you when the time is right. Enjoy the evening." Was the last thing she said and left.

I thought for a moment, what she could've meant but then decided to follow the others and take a seat.

To get more information about the strange woman, I decided to ask the Bishop, who sat beside me.

"Excuse me, did you notice the rather severe-looking woman I was speaking with? She said her name-

I cut off when suddenly three mean walked in the room, one of them- I recognized him as the one who bumped into me before, shot in the air.

All of us shrank in shock, gasping and yelling. I put my hand protectively over my little bump.

"What is this? What is going on?" Outraged I yelled at the familiar-looking man.

"I'm afraid your evening has been hijacked, Mr. Mayor." He said amused, pointing the gun on me. Panting heavily, the grip on my stomach tightened.

"I see, I didn't leave a mark on you. I'm so glad."

He turned his attention to the other guests. "For those of you who don't know me: My name is Jarvis Tetch."

Now I knew why he was so familiar to me. This guy was obsessed to be with his sister and was now blaming Jim Gordon for her death.

"I promise not to take up too much of your time. But the fact is, you are the heads of Gotham. And tonight... The heads of Gotham will roll." Speaking further a big shitty smile appeared on his face.

I started panicking. Not about my life but because of my baby's.

"But first...a toast. A drink, to your health."

"And if we don't?" I hissed with a mix of fear and anger in my voice.

"Change, my friend is nigh. Drink the wine, or else you die." Jarvis pointed the gun on my head again, looking at me dangerously. I felt sweat forming on my forehead, realizing there wasn't another choice if I didn't want to die together with my unborn now. I just wished that it won't harm the little one.

Grunting I looked at the others, hesitating they took their glasses. Closing my eyes, I did the same but before either of us could take a sip, someone yelled: "Glasses down now! Glasses down!" The GCPD stormed into the room, gunshots dropped, people were screaming.

The guards wrestled down the criminals, arrested them and left except Gordon, who came up to me looking at me seriously. "I'm calling the ambulance, people who got hurt in any kind of way have to stay here. The others can go home for now."

I nodded shakily, feeling the shock deep in my bones. Taking a few deep breaths, I turned to the other guests and announced what Gordon had just told me.
Then I took my umbrella and made my way home.

When I'm at home I'm going to tell Ed about the pregnancy news.

• • •

Edward's POV

I was waiting for Isabella. Impatiently my gaze flew towards the clock every few seconds.
As I heard the final doorbell ringing, I sprinted to the door and opened it, facing the beautiful woman, I've waited for so long.

"I have to talk with you." She said with a cold face. There was nothing in her eyes but empty as she walked past me, straight into the living room.
Confused I followed her, not sure what was going on with her.

She sat down on a chair, looking at me expectantly. "I want an explanation, Ed..."

"About?"

"Your past in Arkham..."

My eyes grew wide. How the hell was she supposed to know about my time in Arkam? But I realized there was no other way of telling her, what she already seemed to know.

"The truth about my time in Arkam is that I killed my girlfriend Mrs. Kristen Kringle...so...while I did kill my girlfriend, who does look rather similar to you, it wasn't out of malice or intent. It was an accident that I deeply regret. And I was not gonna tell you this, but then—"

"Edward, I know what you did." She interrupted me, making me pause my nervous movement.

"You do?"

"I spend the afternoon reading every article about you."

I stared at her off in disbelief. "You know what I did and yet you still come on this date anyway?... That's not logical."

She smiled softly. "Love isn't logical."

Isabella stood up, approaching me slowly and looked me deep into the eyes. "I've lived my whole life inside the pages of books. Any other men I have dated, they didn't compare to the lovers I spent my whole life with: Anthony, Cleopatra, Romeo and Juliet, Othello and Desdemona."

She paused.

"All of who died." Slowly I understood what she was getting at.

"Edward, you're the first to measure up. You're the one I waited for."

"You're not scared of me?"

"Of course, I am." Tears were forming in the corner of her eyes as she took my hand, placing it on her chest. "Can you feel how fast my heart is beating?"

I lost my eyes is hers, and finally, I leaned forward and connected our lips.

• • •

~ Helix❤