The plan

Oswald's POV

As soon as I was awake, it was 6 am, to be honest, I rushed into the living room, taking the receiver, dealing Ed's number. After a while of ringing, he finally picked up.

"Do you know, what time-"

"I'm so sorry Ed for everything I have done or said to you. I realized a lot in the last few days. And I have to say that you were right...I can't love anyone. This was just an illusion, my desperate, crazy mind played on me. Maybe I'm not entirely over the death of my mother. Just please let us forget everything that happened and concentrate on the future. I miss you, Ed. As my right hand and as a friend. Please forgive me, I'm serious about what I said."
It was hard. Denying the true feelings, pretending to have been mistaken about them.

I heard him sighing. His breath was calm and steady. "I'm glad you called me, I was too proud to confess my guilt about the mistake I did, to you. I miss you, Oswald, I want nothing more than to work with you again."

A single tear rolled down my cheek. I was so touched by his words, that I almost forgot about the plan.

"Tonight gonna be the Founders' dinner, wanna help me to pick out the right suit?"

"Sure. I'll be at your place in a minute." The riddler said and hung up.

My heart was racing in joy. I couldn't believe it would be that easy to convince the one I loved.
I called for Olga to bring out all of my necessary clothes.

• • •

"You are going to cut quite the fine figure at the Founders' dinner tonight."

"Yes."

"Did you know that this dinner has been thrown annually for over 200 years? It was started by the first families of Gotham. Only the most powerful citizens are invited."

"It's a shame I don't have a plus one."

"Oh, I can't go anyway. I have a date."

"With the woman, you claim to be in love with after knowing for a few days?"

"Almost two weeks to be exact. But you know, Heart keeps its own time.

I narrowed my eyes, gritting my teeth.

"I'm partial to the purple." He held the tie in front of my chest.

"The brocade brings out my eyes." I stuttered.

"Are you sure you aren't mistaking infatuation for love? You did say she is the spitting image of Kringle" I ask carefully, not wanting to get in an argument with him.

"Isabella's beautiful and smart." He said enthusiastically

"So, she bears a passing resemblance to Kristen"

"It's just the universes telling me...Telling me I have a second chance at love.

"Where did you say she works?" I asked inconspicuously.

" The Main Public Library." "You are right about the brocade." Holding up another tie, he grinned satisfied.

"Do you mind if I skedaddle? I just need to pick up a few things for tonight."

I took the tie. "Who an I to stand in the way of love?

He smiled at left.

I couldn't hide my disappointment from myself anymore. Why has love to be that hurtful, for god's sake.

Eyeing myself in the mirror, I noticed, that my baby bump was already visible through the clothes. Not too much, but noticeable. For now, it wouldn't be much of a problem, people gain weight, naturally. No one would expect that the mayor - a man, was pregnant. Sometimes even I didn't believe it. But it was real and it's going to be a long and perhaps a hard way to handle it, especially in this contaminated and dangerous city.

Sighing I choose the tie, which perfectly fits my eyes, wrapping it around my neck.
A last look in the mirror and I smiled satisfied with my appearance.

It was time to pay her a visit.

• • •

~ Helix ❤