Chapter 17: The Disaster Date

I stared at myself in the mirror all dressed for the date. Lockhart had told me that the dinner would be exceptionally fancy so I had to wear a gown. I did. I settled on a peach one that was rather simply yet elegant. I wasn't sure what to expect. I felt somewhat guilty that I was going on a date with him when I loved Severus but I truly couldn't wait forever. He never made any effort while Lockhart never stopped. So, I shook the thought away and opened my door. As soon as I did, I was greeted by three beaming faces - Hermione, Ginny and Luna.

"Hello girls -"

"Oh Professor Ringe, you look stunning!!" Ginny squealed.

"Breathtaking!" Hermione added, clapping her hands together.

"You really do look quite lovely Professor," Luna commented in her usual soft and delicate voice.

"Thank you so much girls!" I replied. "What are you doing here?"

"Lockhart sent us to escort you there. Plus, we wanted to see you," Ginny explained.

"Wonderful, let us go then."

I walked into the Grand Hall and once again, Lockhart had outdone himself. All the usual tables were gone and instead was one circle table set for two in the middle. A candlelight dinner. Cheesy, but still sweet.  The hall looked a lot like the room from the muggle movie Beauty and the Beast where they danced. It was magnificent. There was an enchanted piano in the corner which was a plus since I loved classical music. Lockhart appeared in the front. He looked dashing in his suit. However, I still couldn't believe I was actually here.

"Wow, you look dazzling. I thought I looked great but you? Impeccable," He gasped taking my hand.

I rolled my eyes laughing, "Well Gilderoy you do look amazing."

"I do don't I?" He asked. It wasn't a joke though. He was quiet serious when he stated that, flipping his hair carefully.

He led me to the table and helped me sit before he went to sit down. With a wave of his hand the piano began to play for us. The food appeared and he immediately began to eat. As he bite into the chicken he said, "I told you so."

"Told me what?" I asked.

"The first day I met you. I told you in my office that my persistence would win your heart over and it did," He stated.

"I stand corrected." I chuckled. "I never would have guessed."

"Do you like it all?" He questioned, gesturing to the Grand Hall.

"I love it. It is so beautiful but you didn't have to do all of this for me," I objected smiling. He really didn't. I had never been taken out on a first date to something to posh. It was flattering. Maybe Lockhart's intentions were purer than I made out to be. It was odd that I was finding happiness now, while the Chamber of Secrets was open.

"Nonsense, you deserve this. I know about Sirius Black and how you didn't date after him. I'm honored you let me be the guy after him," He admitted.

I didn't really know how to comment on that so I changed the subject and asked, "So, you sent Hermione to spy on me?"

"Ah, well yes. You see, I knew she was close to you and the boys wouldn't have done it so yeah. I just wanted this to be perfect."

"It is," I agreed.

"I know. I've learnt through all my adventures ..."

I listened to him talk about his ridiculous and highly improbable adventures throughout dinner. Most of the time, I had to try desperately to hide my laughter but I did a fairly good job in remaining completely serious. When we had finished eating he asked, "Would you care to dance?"