Chapter 20: Ginny's Disappearance

Every time I began to read through my father's old spell book I was rendered absolutely breathless. The spells were astonishingly difficult and diverse in comparison to what we were taught in school. The book was filled with secrets just anxiously awaiting to be discovered. I experimented with some of his simpler spells but even those proved to be much more than I could handle at my current level. One section of the book spoke about various powers given to the Ringe descendants such as healing, visions, mind reading, and thought communication along with my ability of resurrection. Unfortunately, asides from the actual title, everything else was written in another language and the only person alive who could probably speak it was Demetrius - wherever he was.

Deciding to attempt something I could actually read, I went to a page that taught us how to use the elements in our favour. I skipped the whole history part and went right to the end where it said the spell. It seemed easy enough so I naively attempted it without reading the text. I pointed my wand at my desk and exclaimed, "Conglacior!"

Nothing happened. Not even a tiny spark or shiver. Humbly, I looked back at the book, deciding that it would be best to read the instructions first:

To create ice or to freeze something one must recall a chilling moment that shook your bone to the core and settled fear into the depths of one's heart. The stronger the feeling the more powerful the spell. As one advances in the art of elements, memories aren't needed.

Naturally, I thought of my trips to Azkaban. Throughout my life, nothing seemed eerier than the moments I spent there. So, with that thought in mind, I tried the spell again and was thrilled to see that a small, white spark flew out of the tip of my wand. A new sense of confidence settled into my heart as I straightened my posture a bit. This time, I pointed at the quill that sat in the middle of my desk and tried again, remembering every shrieking scream and haunting dementor this time. After a few tries, a stream of ice emitted from my wand and enclosed the quill in a block of ice.

As I continued to practise to my heart's content, someone knocked at my office door. I barely paid any attention to them as I called, "Come in!"

When I heard the doorknob turn I instantly panicked, remembering the icicles I had created on the door frame. However, before I could even warn the person of what they were walking into, the door swung open causing a few icicles to fall in front of McGonagall's feet. She instantly looked up at my door in astonishment before turning her attention to me and asking,  "What in heaven's sake are you doing? Miss the snow already?"

"I am practising element spells and that was my attempt at freezing my office," I giggled. 

A small, playful smirk appeared on her lips as she folded her hands in front of her. "Ever consider practising outside?"

"Not as much fun," I admitted, shrugging nonchalantly.

"Oh, dear," She sighed, waving her hand a bit. "Well, I was going to invite you to a meeting in a few minutes to discuss the opening of the Chamber of Secrets unless you wish to stay here and freeze your office."

Closing my spell book in front of me, I laughed, "It sounds tempting but I think I'll join you for the meeting."

As we made our way through the descending stairs towards the teacher's Common Room, we were quickly joined by Professor Sprout and Severus. There was a bit of mindless chatter among us, ranting about rebellious students and reckless couples, but no earth-shattering news. Severus lingered at the back, trailing behind me, as he attempted to avoid unneeded social interaction. None of us was in a rush until we began to hear the nervous murmurs of a sea of students around the corner. 

We all exchanged rather nervous glances as we picked up our pace. As we turned the corner, we came face to face with Dumbledore and the horrific, bloody note that was written on the walls: Her skeleton will lie in the chamber forever.