Chapter 60

“Wolfe is there any news? Has Vampuric heard or seen anything?”

“No Alex. I’m sorry. Are you not able to reach our daughter at all?”

Alexandria shook her head and silent tears rolled down her cheeks. Wolfe pulled his wife into his arms and hugged her tight. Alexandria buried her head in his chest and sighed deeply. Their only child was missing and all because she had gone searching for the man she’d fallen in love with.

“Wolfe, if Lyell had been one of our kind she would not have left and she’d be here now with us, not out there in the world where she’s never been.” Alex felt so frustrated.

“Alex there was nothing we could do about who she had imprinted on. You know we could never have changed anything. Besides darling she has unbelievable powers and special gifts, I am sure she can take care of herself.”

“If that is the case then why can’t I hear her? Why can’t I feel her?”

“Have you had no communication with her at all? No sense of her at all?”

“No. The last time our thoughts crossed was when she arrived in London and was walking towards the tube station. After that I lost her and never heard from her again.”

“Well … maybe Lyell has found her.”

“I would know if he had. Something is not right Wolfe. I can feel it in my heart. Annjelica is in trouble.”

“Your sixth sense has never failed you before now Alex. Maybe you are right. I just can’t understand why she wouldn’t use her powers if she was in trouble.”

“Something is stopping her from using them. If she had used them I would’ve felt her. But there is nothing. Just an emptiness that feels so dark and cold.”

“I will go and ask Vampuric to come with me to London. He knows the city better than I do and we will start searching for her immediately.” 

“I will pack an overnight bag for us. Just give me a few minutes.”

“What? No, Alex you must stay here. Just in case she returns and needs you.”

Alexandria spun round and with her hands on her hips she glared at her husband. “Either you take me with you or I will find my own way to London, but I am going to find my daughter.”

Wolfe smiled. He knew when his wife set her mind to something there was no stopping her and the fact that this particular instance concerned their daughter, he knew better than to argue.

“Okay, I’ll come and give you a hand.”

“No, I’ll manage. Bring the car round. I won’t be long.” She saw her husband hesitate. “Yes Wolfe I want to go now.”

Wolfe nodded. He didn’t dare argue with her when she was feeling so emotional.

By the time he had brought the car round to the front steps of the castle, Alex was waiting with a travel suitcase in her hand.

“Where are we going first?” She asked as she climbed into the car.

“I thought we would stop by the cottage to see if there was any recent sign that Lyell had been there or maybe even …”

“Annjelica would not have gone to the cottage without me knowing. I would’ve felt her presence immediately.”

Wolfe nodded, knowing what his wife said was in fact true. Alexandria and Annjelica were so in tune with each other’s emotions and thoughts she definitely would have felt her presence immediately.

“We’ll stop at the cottage first then head off to see if Vampuric has heard anything. I am sure he will want to come with us as soon as he knows we are going to London to look for her.”

At the cottage Alex walked round searching for the slightest sign Annjelica had been there, but she felt nothing. The cottage was cold, dark and empty. She climbed back into the car without a word. Wolfe could see the pain in his wife’s expression. Her face was pale, her brow deeply furrowed and her eyes were dull and lifeless. He knew she would not rest till Annjelica was found.

When they arrived at the Colester Mansion Alex was out of the car before Wolfe had even turned off the engine. She ran up the stairs and banged on the door. Cedric Colester answered the door.

“Cedric is Vamp here?”

“Alexandria, what’s wrong?”

“Annjelica is missing. Where is your son?” She demanded.

Wolfe put his arm around Alex’s shoulder and held out his hand to shake Cedric’s. “Sorry for the intrusion, but Alex is very worried about Annjelica. We haven’t heard from her in nearly a month now and Alex has lost all telepathic communication with her too. Is Vampuric home?”

Just then Vampuric came running up the stairs behind them. “Hey Wolfe. This is a nice surprise. Hi Alex.”

Cedric spoke first. “Annjelica is missing.”

“How long has she been gone? Are you sure she is missing and not with Lyell?” Vamp asked.

“If she was with Lyell we would have heard by now. Haven’t heard from him either.” Alex replied.

“Vamp would you mind coming with us to look for her? You know your way around London better than we do.”

“Of course I will.” He looked at his father.

“Yes Vampuric. You must go right away and see what you can to do help them find her.”

Without another word Vampuric rushed inside and threw a few things into a bag and was soon seated in the back seat of the car.

They arrived in the heart of London city near midnight which worked well for Vamp as night time was the best time for him. His senses were on high alert at night more so than during the day. They booked into a travel lodge and parked the car.

“Alex, why don’t you and Wolfe go to bed? I will have a scout around the city streets and see if I can pick up anything.”

“I’m coming with you.” Alex insisted.

“Alex, I know you are worried but I can cover more ground on my own faster.”

“Vamp is right Alex. Let’s get some sleep and wake fresh in the morning to start our search while Vamp catches some shut eye. Vamp can do nights and we’ll do days.”

“I agree Alex.” Vamp said. “That way there is somebody looking for her 24/7”

Alexandria was about to open her mouth to protest when Wolfe put his arm around her and ushered her into the hotel. “Come Alex. We both need a good night’s sleep. Our heads will be clearer and our senses more alert in the morning.”

Vampuric nodded and smiled at Alexandria. “We will find her Alex.”

He turned on his heel and sprinted off into the night. He carried with him Annjelica’s purple sarong. He had been inhaling her scent from the material, all the way to London. With her smell fresh and strong, filling all his senses he travelled the back streets searching for the slightest whiff of her scent.

Just before dawn he picked up a familiar scent. It was not Annjelica, but a smell that triggered a memory.