Chapter 39

Annjelica woke to a pitch black room. It was so dark she strained to make out anything in the darkness until Lyell spoke.

“It’s okay Annnjelica, I’m right here with you.”

“Lyell, I’m so thirsty, my throat is burning.”

Lyell flicked the switch for the night light which instantly cast eerie shadows on the walls of the room and made the hair at the back of his neck stand on edge. He did his best to shake off the unnerving feeling and lifted the crystal glass of black liquid to Annjelica’s lips. He had not asked what was in the glass nor had he wanted to know. He had a vague suspicion that there had to be blood mixed in the dark liquid. But whose or what blood he did not need to know, well not yet anyway.

“Here Angel, your mother gave me this to give you when you woke up, but you can’t have more than one glass every hour.”

Annjelica grabbed the glass from his hand hungrily and downed it almost it one swallow. Lyell was shocked at how quickly she drank the contents of the glass. When she looked up at him her eyes appeared to shine with an unnatural light. The black liquid left a moustache around her top lip giving her a sinister appearance.

“Lyell, more please, I need more.” She said as she handed him back the glass.

“Angel, your mother gave me strict instructions only one glass every hour if needed and not to let you over dose, it would be dangerous.”

Annjelica stared at him trying to control the frustration that was welling up inside her.

“I am so thirsty, I need more, please.” She begged.

“I’ll get you some water.” He said as he stood up.

She grabbed his hand and brought it to her cheek, holding his cool hand against her hot cheek. “Lyell, please, just one more glass. I’m burning up inside, I need to have just one more glass please.  I promise I won’t tell my parents. Please Lyell, please.” She begged, her voice becoming high pitched and winey.

“Annjelica, your mother never said what would happen or how dangerous it was if you had more than you were supposed to, she just emphasized that it was dangerous for you to have more than one glass every hour and I’m really sorry but I’m just not prepared to take any risks with your health.” He said, pulling his hand away from her, “I’ll get you a glass of cold water to quench your thirst.”

Lyell turned his back to her and began to walk towards the bedroom door, when he hit the floor, he hadn’t a clue what happened. He felt dazed and the weight on his back felt hot and heavy.

Annjelica’s thirst was unbearable and sending her into a frenzy. She needed to have more blood and at that moment she lost all sense of reason as she watched the only source of the thirst quenching liquid she desperately needed leaving the room. In one swift movement she had left the bed and landed squarely on Lyell’s back, knocking him to the floor.

Lyell landed face down on the floor and the sudden impact caused his nose to bleed.  The smell of the fresh blood fueled the flame inside Annjelica’s thirsty body and she yanked Lyell’s head to the side exposing the pulsing vein in the side of his neck. As she bent forward to sink her teeth into his flesh, Vampuric opened the door. The hall light illuminated the awful scene before him and without thinking he lunged forward and ripped Annjelica off Lyell, throwing her back onto the bed.

Vamp had been coming to Annjelica’s room to check on the couple and see how they were doing, but the sight that met his eyes as he opened the door horrified him. Annjelica’s eyes had turned a flaming orange as she lifted her head to see who had opened the door. Her fingers were tightly curled in Lyell’s hair, pulling his head to the side. Vamp saw blood on her other hand and the only thought that crashed through his mind was that she’d bitten Lyell. He moved like lightning freeing Lyell from her grasp and called out to Wolfe telepathically.

In less than a minute Wolfe appeared in the doorway and taking in the scene and the fresh smell of human blood, staggered back only to find Alexandria behind him. She brushed past him and was at her daughter’s side before he had time to say anything.

Alexandria shouted “Lights!”

Wolfe felt for the light switch and flicked it on. He stared at Lyell lying bleeding on the floor and quickly turned him over, inspecting both sides of his neck. “No puncture marks, it’s his nose that’s bleeding.”

“She didn’t bite him?” Vamp asked, looking from Lyell to Annjelica, pointing to the blood on her hand.

“No Vamp, it’s his nose. Whatever happened, he has ended up with a bloody nose.”

“But, I saw her ….. Well, when I opened the door she was on his back and pulling his head to the side, her mouth was just inches from his neck.” Vamp exclaimed.

“Mama, I’m burning up, my throat is on fire and Lyell wouldn’t give me anymore to drink. I was desperate.” She looked at Lyell sitting on the floor being supported by Wolfe who had given him a towel for his nose.

“Annjelica, I don’t think Lyell can stay with you anymore today.” Her mother said whilst she wiped the blood from her hand, “We really don’t know what you are capable of now that your whole being seems to be taking on a new form.”

“Mama, I never meant to hurt him, honestly. I just couldn’t control my urge to drink and well …. He was leaving ….. And …..” Annjelica burst into tears and buried her head into her mother’s shoulder. “I’m … sorry …. Lyell.” She sobbed.

The whole ordeal was overwhelming for Lyell. He was struggling to deal with the fact that Annjelica was actually going to bite him. He remained seated on the floor, speechless, nursing his bleeding nose.

“Lyell, I think we need to remove you from the situation for now and we’ll see how Annjelica is later on. That’s of course if you still wish to stay and see this through?” Wolfe asked, helping him to his feet.

“Maybe you’d be better off at home till this is all over and Annjelica can come and see you again in a couple of days.” Vampuric offered. “I think it will be best for everyone if I take you home now.”

Lyell looked at Wolfe and he nodded his approval. He looked across at Annjelica still hiding in her mother’s arms. “Annjelica, what do you want me to do?”

When she didn’t answer he moved closer to her and reached out and touched her arm, “Angel, do you want me to go?”

She lifted her head and looked at Lyell. Her eyes were no longer burning orange, but blood shot and red. “Lyell, I’m so sorry. Maybe it would be best if you went home till all this is over.  I don’t know what I am capable of and I really don’t want to hurt you again.”

Lyell stared at her, unable to believe she was actually sending him away after he’d told her he wanted to be with her through everything she had to go through and now she was sending him away. “Angel, I want to be with you, please don’t send me away.”

“Lyell, how can you say that after what I nearly did to you? No you can’t stay, it’s too dangerous for you, you must go home.”

“Annjelica, please … let me stay, I want to stay.”

“No. Lyell … No. I want you to go home and I promise I’ll come to you as soon as it’s all over.”

“Angel, please.” Lyell begged as Wolfe took his arm and led him towards the door.

Vampuric stepped up behind him as he turned back one last time to look at Annjelica who had now turned her back on him, “Go Lyell, please go.” She said in a harsh voice, Lyell had never heard before.

“I’ll be waiting for you Annjelica.” He said as Vampuric put his hand on his back and pushed him through the door, closing the door with a distinct click as the lock fell into place, leaving Annjelica alone with her mother.