Chapter 54

“I have bathed and dressed her and she sleeps peacefully now.”

“Are you hundred percent sure she will have no memory of her past and will never remember where she came from or who she was?” DaggerDarkStar asked.

“Are you going to leave her in that room?”

“Yes. It’s led lined and although she is now free from her bonds she will not be able to use any of her powers in there.”

“I can assure you, she’ll never remember anything from her past or who she was and what powers she had.”

“Just call it a security measure. If she does ever remember the tiniest thing I’ll destroy your witches’ coven and each of your sisters will die a painful death, which you will bear witness to.” DaggerDarkStar glared at his prisoner as he towered over her.

“You will release me now, as you promised.” She touched the blood diamond that pressed against the hollow of her neck, pressed into her skin by DaggerDarkstar, whilst she was drugged. Poison Ivy wrapped around her wrists and ankles which made her powerless to use any spells against him.

“No, not until she wakes and I see for myself she has no memory of her past.”

“I swear on my life that the mixing of your blood, mine and hers together with the ‘rebirth of spells’ will transform her into a new being all her past removed from her memories forever.”

“Then you have nothing to worry about. I will release you exactly seven days after she has woken up. Call it my insurance ticket, just in case we have to repeat the whole procedure again.”

“My coven needs me.”

“They will have to wait a little longer for their High Priestess. It’s not often a white witch is a guest in my castle along with the High Priestess from the dark side.”

“Moraine is here?”

“Who do you think helped me deceive you? The child who offered you a drink was none other than one of her flock of evil doers.” DaggerDarkStar laughed at her.

“So she is responsible for the darkness that enslaved my coven?”

“I have many tricks up my sleeve and many of your ‘dark kind’ owe me their lives. Let it be a warning to you, the dark side is on my side and if your double cross me and try to waken Annjelica’s memories with your light I will destroy you and your coven.”

***

Lyell slept less and less every night. His mind raced with fears for Annjelica and worst of all the thought of not knowing where she was and how she was. He was convinced she was hurting and it scared him half to death that she might die before he found her.

After a cool shower Lyell stared at his reflection in the mirror for a long time trying hard to see if Annjelica’s eyes would come to him again. It was at that moment that the hotel fire alarm went off and Lyell jumped stubbing his toe against the metal bin. He swore and throwing his gown on rushed to the door. People were running down the corridor shouting “Fire, get out. Fire!”

Without thinking he rushed back inside and grabbed his wallet and phone. Forcing his feet into his shoes he quickly joined the crowd running past his door. Two firemen were at the top of the stairs trying to calm everyone down and get them to leave the building in an orderly fashion without pushing people down the stairs.

As Lyell waited his turn he felt a heavy hand on his shoulder. He turned and looked into the face of one of the fireman.

“You need to hurry. Time is running out. She’ll soon forget who you are.”

Lyell stared at the fireman trying to comprehend what he’d just said.

“Annjelica? Are you talking about Annjelica? Do you know where she is?” Lyell’s words tumbled out so fast he hardly realized what he was saying. How could this fireman know where Annjelica was?

“You need to go deep underground.” The fireman said then pushed him towards the stairs.

The backlog of people trying to get down the stairs had started moving again and Lyell found himself hurried along by the people around him. He turned to see the fireman who’d spoken to him and he was nowhere to be seen.

Lyell soon found himself out in the cold dawn air, in the parking lot across from the hotel, while the fireman rushed inside to find the fire.

Within minutes a light rain began to fall and he stood shivering in the cold early morning. After half an hour the fireman came out announcing that it was a false alarm, apparently someone was smoking in one of the bedrooms.

No smoking signs were up all over the hotel and every room was fitted with a smoke alarm. Lyell could not believe some idiot had ignored the signs and was the cause of them all standing outside in the rain.

Once he was back in the hotel room he had a hot shower to take the chill out of his bones, dressed and went down for an early breakfast. He could not help remembering the words the fireman had said and wondered just where in the underground he needed to look.

At that moment one of the hotel staff stoked up the fire in the wood burner. Lyell watched as the flames licked around the wood turning it into a brilliant orange. He was fascinated how the flames curled around the wood and it hissed. Whilst watching the flames engulf the wood he suddenly saw Annjelica’s face. It looked lost and so alone and just then a dark image appeared behind her and she was gone.

The wood hissed furiously and Lyell was convinced he heard a voice say “She’s mine now, all mine.” 

A/N : Be the first to name the earthly element trying to help Lyell and this chapter will be dedicated to you.