Chapter 14

It was on the midnight hour …. a storm raged outside the Mansion, thunder rolled in over the mountains, sounding heavier as lightning lit up the sky.  Suddenly sheet lightning engulfed the darkness, so startlingly bright, it illuminated the room in a brilliant white light that blinded everyone and in that moment Alexandria sat bolt upright. Drawing in a deep breath of air, she filled her lungs that had remained empty, still and silent for so long.

Although blinded by the unexpected light, Wolfe felt Alexandria move and automatically reached out for her, tightening his grip on her hand that he had been tenderly holding, while she hovered in death’s sleep. Waiting and hoping she would return from the dark threshold and come back to him. He swore on his life that if she lived, he would love and protect her and never leave her side.

~~~

While Alexandria hovered in the blackness of death’s shadow, her body felt heavy, drained, and unable to move.  Somehow she knew this was not where she belonged. The blackness tugging, dragging her deeper, seemed to be losing its battle.  There was a fight going on inside her body, feeling as if she was being tugged in all directions. She knew if she let go of something that was holding on to her she would surely fall into death’s shadow.

Suddenly she felt a jolt strike through the darkness, a thud in her heart like a hammer. She gasped for air and sat bolt upright.  The air that filled her lungs was as cold as ice. Through the bright light she saw so many strange faces standing around her.  As the light dispersed, her sight faltered for an instant. Quickly adjusting to the dim light and within seconds, she surveyed her surroundings.  Everyone seemed to be blinded by the light.

She felt the pressure on her hand and looked down to find a large, man’s hand, holding hers firmly.  Her mind swam as she realized this must have been the something she felt holding onto her in the darkness, she vaguely now remembered. She looked up into the darkest eyes she had ever seen. In that moment they looked sad and frightened.

Smiling at this strikingly handsome stranger, whose eyes she knew from somewhere in her past, she placed her free hand over his hand, that held hers so tightly. She patted his hand gently, and at the touch Wolfe released the pressure, but did not let her hand go completely. He was afraid she might be frightened and try to run away.

Those dark eyes she knew, but from where? Her mind rapidly searched her memory banks, unable to place them. At that moment she just smiled at him.  He took her hand gently and lifted it to his lips and kissed her.  She watched, mesmerized, as his lips gently caressed her fingertips. Was she dreaming? Was this really happening? Was this beautiful stranger really sitting here beside her, looking at her with such tenderness?

It was Dnate who broke the silence, “Alexandria, are you ok?”

Her glance swept sideways to search out the voice and Dnate stepped forward.

“Hi there. Welcome back. I am Dnate and you are among friends.”

“Hello Alex, I am Monica. We have been waiting for you to wake up.”

Layla gently brushed everyone aside. “Give her space and time to adjust,” looking at Alexandria. “We are all your friends and are here to help you make the adjustment, one step at a time, my dear sweet child, no rush.”

Vampuric stepped forward, “No one will hurt you, and we are all here to help you make the transition. How do you feel? Are you ok?”

Alexandria stared wide eyed at them all. Who were they and why was she here and what transition? For heaven’s sake, would someone tell her what was going on!

As if she had put her thoughts into words, Wolfe stroked her hand he was still holding and replied softly, “We will Alex, as soon as you are stronger. You have been through quite an ordeal.”