Chapter 24

When his friends had left Lyell tidied up and stacked the dishwasher.  He was just on his way up to bed, when the strangest feeling overcame him.  He felt almost as though he was being tugged outside.  He just could not explain the sensation, but followed his gut feeling and went out leaving the patio light on and the French doors unlocked.  He wondered casually down to the lake and in the moonlight he saw her image on the rocks.  Slipping quickly out of his clothes, leaving just his boxers on, he waded silently into the water and swam as quietly as he could across to the rocky outcrop.

Submerged in the water he had watched her for a while and she seemed so sad gazing up at the stars. He climbed out quietly and crept up close to her without interrupting her thoughts. Even though he spoke softly he startled her. He feared she would try to swim away again but she surprised him and did not move. He was even more amazed that she actually agreed to come back to the cottage with him too.

***

Annjelica gazed in appreciation at the man standing before her. Lyell was six foot three inches tall, tanned with rippling muscles, broad shoulders, and packed a much toned six pack.  His blond hair was the colour of golden beach sand.  His eyes were as blue as the ocean. His fine chiseled features resembled that of a Greek God.

He offered her a towel and a dark blue robe to put on in place of her, or rather his wet shirt.  She took the towel gratefully, dried her hair as much as she could, and slipped out of the wet shirt and into his warm dressing gown.

Lyell went through to the open plan kitchen to make hot drinks for them, all the while watching her reflection in the wall mirror, on the back kitchen wall which was positioned so he could still see his guests while busy in the kitchen.  He watched her dry her hair and slip out of his wet shirt, which he had to admit looked really sexy on her wet body.  She had a peaches and cream complexion, beautiful porcelain skin, long hair as black as night, falling into soft curls half way down her back. Her legs were long and lithe and beautiful.  He marveled at the sight of her, and she was here in his house and he was conscious and would remember, as he did not remember her being with him, the night of the lightning storm.

He walked towards her slowly, eyeing her reactions carefully and not sure what she was thinking, or if she wanted to leave immediately. He had promised her a ride home, which she had promptly turned down.

“Here you are a hot cup of herbal tea to warm you up.” He said handing her the cup. Her fingers brushed his as she took the cup from him and made his heart skip a beat. Not sure if he should sit next to her on the sofa or on the chair opposite and decided to sit on the stool in front of her.  “You ok?” he asked.

Smiling “Yes thanks, I am fine” she sipped at her hot cup of tea, “Thanks for the tea and the gown,” she said whilst running her fingers over the soft fabric, breathing in his scent. “I won’t keep you up, just finish my tea and I’ll go.”

“Don’t be ridiculous.” He commented, “You can’t walk home in this storm. I would never allow a lady to wonder off home on her own on a night like this.” He said sternly, “If you won’t let me drive you home, then you will just have to stay the night.” He folded his arms across his broad chest. “You can have my room and I will sleep down here.”

“But ….” She tried to protest, but he put a finger on her lips and silenced her.

“Is there anyone, family, parents, you wish to call before you go to bed. Please feel free to use the phone upstairs by the bedside. You can make any excuse you like and I promise not to listen to your call.”

She smiled and shrugged her shoulders knowing it would be useless at this time to argue with him and best just to go upstairs to his room and slip out before the sun rose in the morning, quietly while he was still sleeping.

Handing him back the cup she said “Thanks, I will go up now, if that’s ok with you.”

Taking the cup from he,r he purposely held onto her fingers and smiling into her eyes he commented, “You feel a little warmer and look a bit sleepy. Shall I show you up to the room?”

Smiling “No need, I know where your room is, remember I have been there before.”

“Oh yes, you were here the night of the storm, sadly I don’t remember much of that night”

Making her way to the stairs, she turned round and with laughter in her voice said, “Maybe it’s just as well.” And before he had time to say anything she was at the top of the stairs, smiling down and saying goodnight. She closed the door behind her and he heard it click as she locked it.

‘Mhmm don’t think the lady trusts me, will have to resolve that soonest’ He thought to himself.

He pulled out the sofa bed and collected pillows and a light blanket from the chest in the dining room and made himself comfortable. He drifted off into a deep sleep with thoughts of her rolling through his mind.

Annjelica did not sleep but sat by the window watching the night sky and the rain. Just before dawn she would unlock the door and slip out the window quietly hoping he would not wake too early to find her gone. Her thoughts floated back to their meeting earlier that evening. How totally drawn to him she was and how intoxicated she found his masculine scent. She suddenly remembered she could hear his thoughts. Was this going to be a good thing or a bad thing for them? Being able to read his mind, before he spoke the words.

As the first glimmer of dawn peeked over the mountain, she silently climbed out the window, dropped to the ground as light as a feather and sprinted home. Sliding in through her open bedroom window she hurriedly pulled the window closed and drew the curtains. Slipping under the covers with thoughts of him in her head she fell fast asleep.