CHAPTER 27

Stopping on the patio Annjelica turned round and looking back at the lake she noticed a strange haze around the moon. “How mystical, like an aura of magic covering the moon, as if something magical is going to happen tonight.”

“Magical yes.” Lyell said as he watched her quietly. He smiled and laced his fingers through hers and motioned for her to sit beside him.

Annjelica blushed as she sat next to him. “I wasn’t sure if you would be out tonight after your recent brush with lightning.”

Lyell shook his head, “Yes, that was quite something, not quite sure what happened, it’s all a bit hazy but you were there right beside me, all the time, it seemed.”

“I’m just glad you’re alright now and no after effects I hope.” As she spoke she gently placed her hand on his shoulder and lightly ran it down his arm.

Lyell turned to face her. Taking her hands in his he said, “Annjelica you must be an Angel, you glow in the moonlight, just like a star.”

Annjelica smiled, ‘if only I was, it would make things so much easier than what I really am.  Lyell will you still love me when you know …..’

Her thoughts were interrupted when he pulled her into his arms and kissed her softly at first and when he felt her respond his kiss became more demanding.  In that moment time seemed to stand still and all they heard was the beating of their hearts. When their lips parted Annjelica looked deep into his eyes, reading his thoughts as she did.

‘I’m falling for you, but if I tell you how I feel will I frighten you away? Is it too soon? Will this passion I feel inside scare you and make you disappear again?’  Lyell’s thoughts were as clear to Annjelica as if he had said them out loud.

She brushed the tip of his nose with her lips and then covered his face in soft butterfly kisses all the way down to the side of his neck where her lips lingered instinctively on his pulsing vein. As she opened her mouth and sucked gently at his skin, he leant in towards her, arching his neck allowing her free reign and feeling the slight tingling sensation as her lips, tongue and teeth teased his skin.

Lyell’s arms circled around her pulling her closer, needing the connection between them to be stronger. As her body melted into his he felt the strangest sensation, almost like an electric current running through him, but he wanted more, he needed more. He pulled her closer and held her tighter. The soft sucking sensations her lips made on his skin teased his senses to distraction.

A warning signal went off in her head and she immediately pulled her mouth away from his neck, seeing the bruise she had already left on his neck so close to his throbbing vein, she could hear his pulse beating, the blood rushing round his body. Her connection to him was so overwhelming she felt if she did not let him go now there would be no turning back.

In that instant she released him, pushed away from him, “Lyell I have to go, sorry but I must go now.”

He tried to hold on to her but she pulled away and before he could say anything she ran off into the dark and was gone.  He stood shocked and feeling guilty. “Annjelica, come back please. I am so sorry I got carried away like that. Please, please come back.” His eyes searched the darkness trying desperately to see her in the moonlight, but nothing, she was gone.

After waiting what seemed like an eternity Lyell slowly walked inside the cottage feeling like he was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. He didn’t bother to change out of his wet costume and threw his pillows across the room. Collapsing face down onto the bed he felt his heart ripping apart. “I’ve lost her!” he cried out to the empty room. “You stupid idiot, you moved to bloody fast and now she’s gone!” Lyell cursed himself and thumped his fists into the bed.