Chapter 10

A long while after she had found the courage to reply to him, she waited and watched him swim back to the cottage. She had cautiously followed, staying out of sight in the shadows and waited patiently till his bedroom light went out and she knew he was sleeping. She had written her name in the sand, not once, but twice.  The first time she wrote it, she had second thoughts and rubbed it out, but as she was walking away, she sensed his anticipation, his need to know her and wrote her name again. This time deeper and with more meaning, so the letters would not disappear before he had a chance to see them.  She did not know if this was the right or wrong thing to do, but she knew in her heart she had to take the chance.  She had to meet him, to see if he felt as she did, to see if their lives could change enough to suit the other’s life style.  Would he change for her, or could she change for him? Could they meet somewhere in the middle? She was not sure that the latter was a possibility.

That night, as was her usual routine, while he was in residence at the cottage, she went down to the lake for her late night swim, although she did not think he would come swimming tonight as another storm was just breaking.  The thunder and lightning still off in the distance.  This was the time she loved the most, when the lightning lit up the sky. She could feel the electricity in the air, and she felt as if she was recharged with every brilliant streak that zigzagged across the midnight sky.

~ ~ ~

Annjelica was born on the night of the full moon. The midnight air hung heavy with moisture, the heat was suffocating. Her mother Alexandria, being full term in her pregnancy, was now heavy and so dreadfully uncomfortable. Her life time partner and husband, Wolfe, suggested she go for a short walk in the cool air outside, but not to go out the gates! She took his advice and wearing comfortable shoes left the castle.  Feeling the cooling breeze wafting down from the mountain sides she continued walking, not aware of where she was heading. Suddenly finding herself at the foot of the mountain, she realized she had come too far. Exhausted now, she would struggle to walk back.  She found a comfortable spot and sank into the soft moss and rested a while.  She must have dozed. Somewhere in the distance she heard Wolfe calling her name. As she tried to stand a brilliant bolt of lightning came out of nowhere, without a sound or warning. As Wolfe approached the clearing where she sat, the lightning bolt struck the tree she was leaning against and ricocheted through her entire body.

He stood motionless for a moment, taking in the scene and in a split second was by her side, cradling her in his arms, the mother of his child, his life partner. Surely she could not survive such a bolt, and her unborn child, this offspring which would be unique to both families, must be lost too now. Laying her gently on her back he felt for her pulse. Nothing! There was no heartbeat. He thumped her chest between her breasts as hard as he dared and began blowing his breath into her lungs. Thumping again a second time and then a third, fearing he might break her ribs, but knowing he was willing to risk that just to get her to breathe again.  He would never take another partner, he loved her too much. His heart would break if she left him now and he would die soon too. All these thoughts rushed through his mind and somewhere he heard a muffled scream and realized the sound was echoing from his own mouth.

Alexandria regained consciousness, only to realize she was giving birth. She screamed as she felt the baby struggling to leave her body. Wolfe, stunned by what was happening, immediately changed his position. Kneeling between her legs, he saw the baby’s head crown and he let out a howl that resounded painfully through the air.  His call for help was heard at the castle and family came running, not knowing what they would find.

Alexandria lay bleeding, shocked and dying at the foot of the mountain, her baby girl in her father’s arms. She smiled at him and whispered, “Take good care of her, she is special.” Struggling to keep her eyes open she let them close.

Suddenly a loud booming voice rang out, “Oh no you don’t! Open your eyes!” Vampuric shook her violently. “You will not die on my watch. I did not come all this way to see your child born, only to have you die on us.” He forced an eyelid open, “Alexandria, look at me.” She slowly opened her eyes. “That’s better, now keep them open.”

He looked across at Wolfe holding his newly born daughter, blood on his lips and chin from where he had torn the baby’s cord with his teeth to release her from her mother, and with a knowing look, Wolfe said, “Yes, please do what you must to keep her alive!”

Vampuric lifted Alexandria’s lifeless body and cradled it against him, moving her damp hair aside, exposing her neck. He held her close and still and buried his teeth into her vein, as gently as he could. He brought her back to life, knowing full well; when she awoke she would be furious. She had never wanted this, but for the sake of Wolfe and their daughter, she must see there was no other choice.

And so, Alexandria lived to hold her daughter and watch her grow into an amazing, unique child. A woman now, whose birth had brought together two warring families.