Chapter 41

Alexandria watched over her daughter the rest of the day. Her child slept soundly with her head in her lap and Alex woke her every hour to drink her potion. As the day wore on her burning body cooled down and her blood shot eyes became a soft amber color. 

The bedroom door was left ajar and Vampuric and Wolfe took turns in looking in on them at regular intervals to make sure all was okay after the morning’s ordeal. 

As the sky turned inky black and the stars seemed to fill every available space in the darkness, twinkling brightly, like millions of fireflies, decorating the heavens for this special occasion. The moon hid behind the clouds allowing the stars their special moment to shine. 

Guests arrived and filtered into the castle ballroom dressed in the finest evening wear and jewels, each carrying their invitation written in Wolfe’s own hand and more importantly signed in his blood. Such an invite had never before been extended to both the Vampire and Lycan families simultaneously. Although a truce had been formed between the two different species, thanks to the unusual bond of friendship between Vampuric and Wolfe, both leaders in their own right, the Vampire clan and Lycan pack had respected each other’s space and kept their distance. The only two to cross each other’s boarders had been Wolfe and Vampuric.

The guests were surprised to find that they had been mixed and Lycans and Vampires were seated at the same tables. Alexandria had insisted that this night would be a joining of their differences and had painstakingly set the name plates on the tables herself making sure there were an even number of Lycans and Vampires seated at each table. She was determined to show them all that they could live in peace side by side and be there for each other when needed. If her daughter could survive with the blood of both Vampires, Lycans and not forgetting her human side, then surely they could learn to live side by side in peace too.

~~~

Alexandria watched silently as her daughter’s body went from burning hot to cold and the red flush her skin appeared to have disappeared leaving her looking ghostly pale. Her long black hair accentuated the paleness of her skin and she noticed a blue tinge to her lips. She ran her fingers softly through her daughter’s hair and was startled when she suddenly heard Wolfe’s voice right next to her ear. So caught up with her daughter’s transformation she had not heard her husband come in.

“Alex, it’s time to wake our sleeping beauty.”

“Is it that time already?” She asked and Wolfe immediately noticed a slight tremor in her voice.

“Darling, she will be alright. She is strong and healthy and she is part of you and me and Vampuric too. She has the strongest blood running through her veins, she will survive anything and everything this night throws at her.”

“I do hope so Wolfe. I don’t think I’ve ever been so afraid for her before.”

“Mama, I will be fine.” Annjelica said lifting her head off her mother’s lap and hugging her.

“Sweetheart, I know you’ll be fine, I’m just being a mother, it’s what mothers’ do …. Worry.” Alexandria stroked her daughter’s cold cheek. “Sweetheart are you sure you’re feeling okay, you’re lips are so blue.”

“I’m fine, Mama, just fine, please don’t worry.”

“You see Alex, she is fine. Now come along my two favorite ladies and get yourselves all beautiful to meet your guests.”

Alex smiled and kissed her husband’s cheek. He hugged her and Annjelica tightly in his arms and with a perfect bow left the ladies to get ready.

Alex prepared Annjelica’s bath, adding a few drops of jasmine oil to the warm water while her daughter undressed. She washed and conditioned Annjelica’s hair and helped her out the bath into a soft fluffy lilac robe. Alex dried and brushed Annjelica’s hair till it shone in the soft candlelight. The harsh lights had been turned off in the entire castle and hundreds of candles were lit throughout the rooms and hallways.

Alex helped Annjelica into her gown of pure white silk enhanced with hundreds of tiny pearls. Her gown fell in soft folds from just under her bust to the floor, sleeveless and strapless; the sweetheart neckline hugged her firm breast, showing off her cleavage to perfection. A satin cloak hung round her shoulders and trailed behind her. A tiara of tiny yellow rose buds adorned her head. Her amber eyes shone, her skin was as pale as milk and her full lips were still tinged blue.

“Annjelica are you sure you’re alright Sweetheart? Your lips are still blue.”

“Mama, I am absolutely fine. I’ve never felt better. Please stop worrying.” Annjelica said as she gave her mother a hug. “You look so beautiful Mama tonight. Father is going to fall in love with you all over again.”

“Annjelica, tonight is your night, it’s you who everyone will be looking at.”

“My heavens, who are these stunning beauties we are escorting to the ball tonight?” Wolfe said as he came into the room followed by Vampuric. Both men were dressed in black dinner suits with black satin shirts and a yellow rose in their button holes.

Vamp stepped forward and offered his arm to Alex. “You are more beautiful every day, but tonight you outshine every star in the sky.” He said winking at Wolfe.

“Steady on there, brother, that’s my wife you are talking about.” Wolfe teased, smiling at Alex.

Alexandria was dressed in a stunning red velvet floor length gown, backless, with a plunging V neckline. A string of black pearls hung daintily down between her cleavage. Wolfe kissed his wife’s forehead as she took Vamps’ arm. “You truly are the most beautiful woman in the world and I am the luckiest husband alive.”

“Okay you two, enough with the compliments, thank you kindly, but tonight belongs to Annjelica.

Wolfe and Vamp laughed and Wolfe offered his arm to his daughter and patted her hand as she linked her arm in his. “Tonight is your night my darling daughter and you do look like a princess. The guests are going to be amazed by your beauty.”

“Father …. Lyell.” Annjelica looked into her father’s eyes.

“He is safely home at his cottage child. You will see him soon enough. Now let’s go meet your guests.”

When Alexandria entered the ballroom all the guests stood acknowledging her with a slight bow as was customary when the host entered the room for the first time. Vampuric escorted her to their table across the room.

Annjelica hesitated at the door feeling anxious, not knowing what to expect of the nights events. Her father sensed her hesitation and gave her a hug, “My darling child, whatever happens tonight, I will be at your side and you must know that you Mother and Vampuric will be right behind me too. You will not be alone, whatever happens.”

“Thank you Father. I just wish today had gone differently and Lyell was still here.”

“I know,” He smiled, “But maybe its better he is safely at home. He would’ve been the only human here tonight.”

“I never thought of that Father, I guess you’re right.”

Annjelica took a deep breath and holding firmly onto her father’s arm entered the ballroom.

A hush fell over the entire room. If a pin had fallen it would have echoed. Then one by one the guests all stood. Wolfe bowed his head acknowledging his guests and escorted Annjelica into the center of the room. Stepping away from her, he took her hand and kissed it.

Wolfe towered above Annjelica and addressed his guests, “I present to you all my daughter and only child, who carries the blood of all our kind and that of her human mother too. May this night, create a bond between us all, that nothing will ever break apart?”

The guests applauded and cheered loudly; raising their glasses they toasted Annjelica, who at that moment felt so small and insignificant. So much was resting on her shoulders tonight, why she asked herself? She wished the floor would open and swallow her up. If she became a Lycan then they would hold the ruling power, the same would apply if she became a Vampire, but what was to become of her if she took on all her mother’s human traits and lost any powers she might have? Or was she to become an entirely new creation with abilities uncomprehendable?