Chapter 32

Wolfe and Vampuric stood in the Grand Ballroom surveying the bustling activity. Several wall mounted candle holders hung from every wall around the room. Each one held twenty red and white candles all waiting to be lit. Large arrangements of red rose buds stood at the entrance to the ball room. Tables in horseshoe shapes seating ten were around the edge of the room leaving the center floor open for the ceremony and later dancing. Each table had four little posies of red and white rose buds in crystal vases. Silver cutlery was being polished and placed. Crystal goblets glistened on the white table linen. Starched white napkins were being threaded through glass napkin rings. Heavy ornate candle chandeliers hung from the outer edges of the dome ceiling.

“It’s all coming together and will look amazing on the night.” Wolfe said, looking at Vampuric for confirmation.

“Yes it definitely is. Judging by the seating it sure looks like everyone invited is attending.” Vampuric said waving his hand towards the tables.

“Yes, I was quite surprised they all accepted.” Wolfe nodded.

“I don’t see how anyone could refuse and invite written in the host’s blood.” Vampuric commented. “Are the Lycans separated from the Vampires?”

“Seating arrangements I have left to Alexandria. The name plates have already been printed and I think she will be placing them out on the day. At the moment she is watching over Annjelica and making sure she does not leave the castle till after the event.” Wolfe frowned, “Not quite sure how easy a task that will be. I know our daughter is determined to see Lyell again.”

“How is Annjelica, would it be possible for me to see her today?”

“She is fine considering what she has been through recently, but I think Alex is keeping her under lock and key the next twenty-four hours so she can sleep and get the rest her body needs. We are all still in the dark as to what we can expect at the time she comes of age.”

“I know, Wolfe, there has been much talk and speculation as to which side of the coin she will turn. Vampire, Lycan, possibly human, but that’s the weaker species and surely wont out govern our bloods. Some say she might evolve into a brand new species altogether.”

Wolfe folded his arms across his chest and his eyes turned amber, “My concern is not what she will become but if her body will handle the effect of whatever powers she will inherit. Lycan’s blood is hot and Vampires are cold.”

“And humans have hot blood running through their veins too, so you seem to be leaning towards her becoming like you ….. A Lycan.” Vampuric commented.

“Vamp, when Annjelica was conceived both her parents had hot blood running through their veins even though her mother was human at the time.  It was only after that terrible ordeal with, whose name will never be mentioned again, that Alexandria was instilled with your blood and she was already pregnant then.”

“I remember it well, Wolfe and don’t forget I brought Alex back from the brink of death when Annjelica was born.”

“Yes, my friend, I haven’t forgotten and I will forever be indebted to your for saving her life.” Wolfe put his arm around Vamp’s shoulders and squeezed him roughly, “but remember, it was after Annjelica was born that you gave Alex your blood. So my thinking is that Annjelica had more Lycan blood than Vampire blood.”

Vampuric could feel the tension in his old friend’s grip around his shoulders and thought better to change the topic than arouse his Lycan temper.

“So what of Lyell? Your Annjelica has imprinted on this human. I always thought we’d spoken as though she might imprint on one of our kind joining our two species as one.”

Wolfe took his arm off Vampuric’s shoulders and faced him, his eyes still glowing, “We may have briefly touched on that thought but it is after all Annjelica who makes the final decision. Her imprinting will be something that comes from within her being, not something we can dictate or change.”

Vampuric stood his ground, knowing full well, Wolfe would not really hurt him; he had been there whenever Wolfe needed him, and saving Alexandria’s life was the bond that would always hold them together.  Their friendship began in childhood and now was not the time to test that friendship.

“And my good friend,” Vampuric began smiling, trying to ease the tension between them, “When will Lyell be told about us ….. All of us?” He waved his hand towards the busy throng of people setting the ballroom up for Annjelica’s big day.

Wolfe dropped his stance and his eyes returned to normal as he looked at the crowded room with friends and family rushing back and forth. “Of that I’m really not sure.  I guess we will just have to wait and see. I think that decision rests with Annjelica.”

“I’ll hover around and see if I can help, just in case Alex allows me to look in on Annjelica later.”

“As you wish.” Wolfe said smiling at Vampuric, “I have things I need to attend to now.”

“Please, don’t let me keep you; I’m sure I can be of use around here somewhere.”

With that, Vamp gave Wolfe a friendly shoulder nudge and walked towards the men trying to set a garland of ivy around the door frames.

Wolfe quickly made his way out the ballroom and climbing the stairs two at a time stood silently outside Annjelica’s door tapping softly.

Alexandria heard Wolfe coming up the stairs before he even got to the door, She opened it immediately he tapped.

“How is our little girl doing? Sleeping I hope.”

“Yes, Love, she sleeps like a baby.  I don’t think she realized how tired she really was and how much her body needed the rest.  I will let her sleep until she wakes herself.”

“Good, she needs all the rest possible,” Wolfe looked passed his wife at his sleeping child. “Who knows what fate has in store for her when she comes of age.”

“All we can do my Love, is be there for her and give her all the support she needs.”

“Yes darling, we will definitely, and support her regarding Lyell.”

"Wolfe,” Alex hesitated and took a deep breath before she continued, “she insists on seeing Lyell before everything happens.”

“Mhmm, what did you say?”

“I told her as long as she promised to sleep and rest for at least 24 hours I would go with her because I refused to let her out of my sight till after the hour of the birthday.”

“Her response?” Wolfe asked watching his wife, sensing a feeling of apprehension in her voice. “I think I will go with you Alex.”

Alex smiled and reached for Wolfe’s hand gently pulling him towards her. She rested her head against his broad chest breathing in his masculine scent. She felt safe and warm as his arms wrapped firmly around her, crushing her closer to him. “I love you Wolfe, always and forever.”

"Darling Alexandria my love for you will outlast the end of time. I loved you when I first saw you in the fields gathering herbs and my love for you has never faltered, but grown so intimately stronger.”

"Will you two love birds leave my room so I can get some sleep?” Annjelica chuckled, watching her parents.

“Oh Sweetheart did we wake you? I’m so sorry.” Alex said, going immediately to her daughter’s side.

“Mhmm yes you did,” she winked, “not really Mama, I woke because I was thirsty.”

“I will run downstairs and get your potion now,” Wolfe said as he turned to leave the room.

Returning to the room minutes later with a glass canister and a crystal glass, he quickly poured Annjelica her potion which she drank greedily and then requested another.  After two more glasses she said she was tired and ready to go back to sleep.

Alex leant forward and kissed her daughter’s cheek, “Sleep Sweetheart you’ll need all your strength for your big day.”

Wolfe stroked his daughter’s hair and kissed her forehead, eyelids and tip of her nose as he’d always done since she was a child and he’d put her to bed after reading her, her favorite fairytale, Beauty and The Beast.