Chapter 22

Annjelica was born on the eve of a full moon, outside, in the elements, induced by a lightning strike.  Born to a human Mother, with just enough vampire blood running through her veins to bring her back from the brink of death. Not once but twice Vampuric had come to her mother’s rescue.  Annjelica’s father being a Lycan prince at the time and now, leader of his pack, she was in fact royalty. Her birth brought together the Lycans and the Vampire family, an unusual alliance, a friendship not quite understood, but in truth unique, as unique as Annjelica, who had inherited all the traits of her descendants.  Being part human, part Lycan, part Vampire, it seemed she had a mysterious gift of electricity, continually charged by lightning.  She seemed to glow with an energy never seen before, whenever she spent time out in the storms.

Occasionally this electrical charge left its imprint on everything she touched, which was often felt by another who might touch the places she had been.  Her family were concerned how this electricity would affect her as time went on and wondered what it would lend to her powers when they came into force on her 18th birthday.  The glass ring that would be given to her at her birthday ceremony could be worn by no one else but her and if removed from her finger it would shatter into a million pieces, ending her ability to walk amongst humans without their knowledge of what or who she really was.  Since birth Annjelica had only been able to venture outdoors after dark, when the sun went down, not like the rest of her family who could move about freely during the day.

The glass ring was more than just an heirloom, but a mystical gift given to Wolfe by a Gypsy whose life he had spared.  She gave him the ring saying, “Give this ring to your first born child on the birth of her 18th year, this ring is to be worn by her and her only. If it’s removed it will shatter into a million pieces and so will her strength.” And as he looked down at the ring she had placed in his hand, it glowed with a brilliant white light.  Embossed in gold on the glass band was the figurehead of a Wolf. Confused at her words he looked up to question her, but she was gone and he never saw her again.  In that moment he wondered how she knew he would ever find a mate or even have a daughter.  He was still young and foolish and preying on every human he encountered.  Until the moment he saw Alexandria and then his life changed.  Now as his daughter and only child approached the birth of her 18th year, he remembered the Gypsy’s words, and holding the ring in his hand he prayed Annjelica would never see the day it shattered into a million pieces.  He had to make her understand that that ring should never ever leave her finger after she slipped it on.

And so preparations were set in motion for this birthday celebration, both her Lycan and Vampire family would be present.  At the midnight hour in the light of the full moon, at the place of her birth, the ritual of the ring would be performed.

It was but two weeks away till the night of Annjelica’s birthday and already invites in delicate gold leaf had been distributed to all concerned.  No one would think of declining such an intimate invitation, written in the blood of the Leader of the pack, father of the child.

And so the date was set and the invites delivered.  Now, all that was left was for Wolfe and Alexandria to explain the ritual to Annjelica and the importance of this event and more importantly, the drastic outcome should the ring ever leave her finger.

Alexandria busied herself over the next two weeks getting the castle decorated and the rooms organized for those family members who intended to stay overnight.  So preoccupied was she, that she had not noticed how little she had seen Annjelica lately.  She decided to go in search of her and found Dnate instead.

“She is never here in the evenings. She leaves by the back door as soon as the sun sets and only returns just as the dawn breaks,” he offered when Alexandria questioned him.

“Well I need to find her, and sit her down so Wolfe and I can talk to her about her birthday celebration.” She sighed. “It seems I have lost track of her these past few days, not only in sight but in mind too. Mhmm, rather concerning, I need to reach out to her.”

“She looks well and very happy. Her eyes shine with a light I have not seen before, her skin sparkles and her hair seems to glow in the evening light,” Dnate remarked. “If I did not know any different I would say she is in love.” He looked for confirmation from Alexandria who just smiled. 

Alexandria had not mentioned to anyone, not even Wolfe, that Annjelica had imprinted, or that she had imprinted on a human!