Chapter 44

“Alex you are going to wear a pathway into the carpet if you don’t stop pacing up and down in front of that window.” Wolfe said stepping in his wife’s path.

“I can’t help it, Wolfe; I’m so worried about our daughter. I’ve not heard anything from her in four weeks now.”

“Nothing at all? Are you not able to reach her telepathically?”

“No Wolfe, not a murmur, not a hint of anything from her. Do you think ……?” Alex was unable to finish her thoughts before tears sprang into her eyes.

Wolfe took her in his arms and kissed the top of her head, “Darling there is no need to think anything has happened to her. Your link to Annjelica is so strong you would’ve felt it if she was no longer alive. She said she had much to learn and would be home soon. Be patient my love.”

“Wolfe, the future of the Lycans and Vampires rests with her now. She may be warm blooded like your Lycan family but she has so many traits of the Vampires. She can’t tolerate the heat and loves to be out in the cold. She lacks interest in eating and survives solely on that concoction Vamp produced and she can’t go out in the daylight.” Alex stared into her husband’s eyes, feeling as if her emotions would cause her to explode any moment.

“Darling Alexandria,” Wolfe cupped his wife’s face in his hands, “Even though it was my seed that gave her life in your womb, it was Vampuric’s blood that saved your life on more than one occasion, so it stands to reason, that maybe his blood runs stronger in her than ours. Without him neither of you would’ve survived.”

“If Annjelica becomes all vampire, will the truce we have with them still hold, or will they want everything we have worked so hard for, establishing a safe environment for our children and to be able to live freely among the humans. If she becomes all vampire, will we lose her to the living dead, will her heart no longer beat? What about her imprinting on Lyell? Ohh, Wolfe there is so much at stake here. We could lose our daughter …..” Alex finally let go of her tears and they fell uncontrollably soaking Wolfe’s shirt as he held his wife close.

Wolfe was also concerned about the truce the Lycans had with the Vampires brought on by the strong bond of friendship between himself and Vampuric. They no longer hunted each other and only crossing their unmarked boarders out of necessity. Now all that could change. Their future hung heavily on their daughter’s shoulders now. Without realizing it his wife’s anxiety was slowly seeping into his mind too.

Whilst they stood in front of the window wrapped in each other’s arms, Alexandria felt a sudden jolt as if a light had suddenly been turned on in her head. Wolfe released his wife the moment he felt her unexpected erratic movement. Her head jerked back and her body trembled as if she was giving birth all over again.

“Alex, Alex, what’s wrong?” Wolfe called out to her as she appeared to be in some sort of trance. Not like anything he’d ever seen before when she had linked with Annjelica telepathically. She seemed to be staring at something, but Wolfe couldn’t see anything.

Alex felt as if she was dreaming, a striking woman stood beside her husband, bearing a slight resemblance to Annjelica, but so much older. But then the image was gone and Alex felt strangely cold.

‘Mama, Mama, can you hear me? I need you to come to the Lake now please.’

“Wolfe, we must go to the Lake now.” Alex’s voice was so high pitched, Wolfe could hardly understand her.

“Alex, what’s wrong? Is it Annjelica?”

“Yes Wolfe, please lets go now, she needs us.”

Wolfe immediately shifted into his animal form and with his wife holding securely onto his fur they left the castle and headed towards the Lake.

The sight that met their eyes was unbelievable. An electric current seemed to hover over the water’s surface crackling and sparking tiny flecks of bright light bounced off the water.

‘Mama I need you and Father to please step into the water. I need to be grounded. It won’t harm you. It’s the only way I can connect with you.’

“Alexandria, what the hell are you doing?” Wolfe was stunned to see his wife walking into the water and reached out to pull her back but found himself being dragged into the water by her. His arms went round his wife trying to protect her from what he expected to be a horrific and painful death. But to his utter amazement they were unharmed except for tingling sensations as the electrical charges ran over their bodies like a million ants swarming over a dead insect. Their bodies were alive with light.

“Wolfe look.” Alex pointed to the image that slowly formed in the water just in front of them.

Wolfe stared in disbelief as his daughter slowly emerged from the water, shining like a brilliant new star. “Annjelica?” He asked.

Painstakingly slowly the image took a more solid human form and reached out to them. No sooner had she touched them than the electricity that surrounded them sank down into the depths of the water.

Wolfe caught his daughter as she collapsed into his arms and carried her out of the water. Alex sobbed as he lay Annjelica down on her lap. With her child’s head resting on her lap she stroked her jet black hair, now streaked with silver. Her skin was creamy white, her cheeks flushed and red and when she finally opened her eyes they were the color of burnt amber. Her body had developed into that of a young adult woman, no longer that of a teenager. Alex read volumes in her daughter’s eyes as they stared at each other till the sun shone high in the midday sky.

Wolfe did not interrupt. He felt Alexandria and Annjelica had a connection that should not be broken and so he watched over his wife and daughter making sure no man, vampire or beast interfered in this bonding moment between mother and child. It was then that he noticed that Annjelica’s skin no longer sparkled in the sun’s rays. Did this mean she was more Lycan than Vampire now?

He knew he’d have to wait for his answers until this maternal re-bonding between his wife and child was completed.