Chapter 36

“Lyell” Annjelica stopped in front of him, just before they entered the ballroom. “It’s my birthday in two days and it is going to be a very big occasion, not only for me but all my family too. I really don’t know how to explain this to you.” Annjelica watched the expression on his face, which appeared calm but in his eyes she could read a slight sense of anxiety. 

Lyell pulled her aside and took her hands in his. He lifted her left hand and placed it over his heart. At that moment no words were needed, she could read his thoughts as clearly as if he’d spoken out loud. ‘I’ve waited so long, so very long for someone like you. You’re my sunshine, my first light, my only light. Your fingertips have touched the darkest places in my life, without you I am nothing. So take me with you anywhere and everywhere you go.’

‘Lyell, I only hope you will accept me and still love me when you see who I really am. I’m not all you see, I am not human like you.’ Annjelica transferred her thoughts to Lyell and he stepped back and looked into her eyes. ‘Yes, Lyell, telepathy is one of my many gifts.’

“Can anyone else hear you?” Lyell asked, suddenly realizing he was talking out loud.

Annjelica shook her head, ‘No, only you can hear me now, unless I want someone else to hear. Don’t talk Lyell; just think your thoughts and I will hear you.’

‘I ….. Wow this is surreal.’  Lyell thought.

Annjelica smiled, ‘So are you ready to find out the truth about me and who I am, although I don’t really know myself yet.’

‘What do you mean? Annjelica you will have to be blunt.’ “It’s all …. Not quite sure what, so please just give it to me straight.” Without realizing it Lyell continued his thoughts aloud.

“Annjelica, Lyell, are you two coming?” Wolfe asked looking back through the door.

Annjelica looked at Lyell and he nodded, “Okay, Angel, show me who you really are if you can’t find the words to tell me.” Lyell said whilst taking her hand and holding it tightly in his, “Angel, wait.” Lyell pulled her back into his arms, “I love you, Annjelica. I know in my heart I can no longer live without you, so I don’t care who you really are, I’d rather die than live without you.”

“Lyell,” Annjelica breathed his name and kissed him tenderly.

Lyell slipped a protective arm around her waist and walked through the door, feeling a little more at ease now that he had told Annjelica how he felt. He knew in his heart that regardless of who she was he could never live without her in his life now. She was so sweet, innocent and beautiful, how could she be anything but perfect. 

As they walked into the ballroom Lyell could feel a little tremor run through Annjelica and he instinctively pulled her closer, trying to reassure with his touch that he was there and would always be by her side.

Vampuric was the first to approach them and extended his hand in greeting, “Sorry I was so off handed before, but I’m sure you’ll soon understand why.” He looked across at Annjelica, ‘Does he know anything yet?’ He asked her.

Annjelica shook her head.

Vamp turned and looked at Lyell, “If his love for you is as true as I sense it is, he will accept you,” He said watching Lyell’s expression.

“I do love Annjelica and nothing will make me change my mind.” Lyell said, pulling Annjelica closer and holding Vampuric’s stare without flinching.

“I hope so Lyell.” Vamp said in a softer tone, “This child is very precious and special to us all, she carries the blood of more than one species.”

Lyell looked from Vamp to Annjelica and frowned.

Alexandria stepped forward, “Don’t let Vampuric intimidate you. He is just being overly protective. If it wasn’t for him I would have died after giving birth to Annjelica, but I’m sure you’ll learn all about us in time.”

"One life story at a time.” Added Wolfe.

“So who or what are you all?” Lyell asked, looking directly at Annjelica.

“I don’t know who I am yet, I will only find out which blood line is the strongest at the hour of my birth in two days’ time.”

“Annjelica, please don’t talk in riddles, just give it to me straight.” Lyell said as he turned to face her, never letting go of her completely, but holding onto her hands.

Annjelica sighed heavily and felt her heart beating in her ears. Her parents stood either side of Lyell and Vampuric stood just behind her. The people in the ballroom quietly moved closer to witness this truth. Could a human really accept their kind, without accepting the change himself? Would he be able to leave here knowing what was about to be revealed to him and return to his own world without putting theirs in danger. All these questions remained unanswered in their minds and Annjelica could feel their doubts and anxiety.

Annjelica’s voice trembled as she spoke, “I am not all human Lyell and my story goes way back to when I was just a twinkle in my mother’s eye, before I was even conceived.”

‘Annjelica, I don’t want to sound rude, but can we leave the history for another time. Please just tell me why you don’t think you are human.’ Lyell’s thoughts probed hers.

"Lyell, I have the blood of a vampire and a lycan running through my veins.”

Lyell stifled a laugh and immediately pulled Annjelica into his arms, “Angel, if that’s what you want to believe, I can accept that.” He said as he hugged her close.

Annjelica pulled herself out of his arms and spoke quietly. “If I could show you I would, but I have to wait till I come of age. I don’t know yet what form I will take.”

“You’re serious, Annjelica, really serious.”

“Yes, Lyell, I’m afraid she is deadly serious,” Wolfe said as he rested his hand on his shoulder.

“Maybe we need to show him,” Vampuric stated, as he shook himself and began to shift into his vampire form.

Lyell watched, unable to believe his eyes as Vampuric’s skin turned an ashen color. His eyes became blood shot with heavy dark circles surrounding them. His lips curled back to show a pair of razor sharp teeth breaking through his top gum.

Alexandria stepped forward and held onto Lyell’s arm, “Don’t be afraid Lyell, no one will harm you, you are among friends here. I have the skills of a vampire, but not the looks or the teeth and I don’t feed as they do. I am more human than vampire. But Wolfe is a Lycan, a werewolf, as commonly known by humans.” She said looking at Wolfe who moved back and began to shape shift into his animal form.

Wolfe shook himself vigorously and crouched down as his body transformed into a large black wolf. Shaking his head and body as a dog would, who’d just come in from the rain, he watched Lyell for any sign that he might bolt in fear. But Lyell stood his ground, partly because he was in shock and partly because he thought he must be dreaming. He’d never witnessed anything like this in his life before.

“Lyell …. Lyell are you okay?” Annjelica’s shaky voice caught his attention.

“I don’t know what to say.” Lyell said shaking his head in disbelief, “How many of you, I mean of them are there?” He asked looking across at the crowd of people who’d now drawn closer, watching and waiting for Lyell’s reaction.

Alexandria spoke softly, “Would you like to see, Lyell?”

Lyell nodded and to his amazement, the crowd that had been people around him changed before his eyes, some taking on the form of vampires, the others shifting into wolves.

“Oh my Holy Saints!” Lyell exclaimed, “All this time, I’ve been living across the water from a pack of wolves and …. And …. The living dead.” Lyell staggered back and in a flash Vamp was behind and caught him before he hit the floor. 

Lyell could almost feel the blood drain from his head as the blackness over took him and his body shut down.