36

Luke thought that he was going to be able to move on. He thought that it was going to be easy. He thought that he would be able to forget about Ashley within a week or so.

But 3 weeks later Luke was still in the same place as before, feeling sad and empty about not being with Ashley anymore. Luke saw her in the halls or in their English class and he felt like his heart had a big hole in it, he could barely look at her without wanting to cry.

He should have hated her, he should have wanted to never talk to her again. She did such a mean thing to Luke after he trusted her with so much and Luke knew that he was not supposed to forgive her for that. He wanted her back though, and there was no denying it anymore.

Luke hadn't talked to any of his friends for weeks. He was too scared to talk to Calum and Luke wouldn't dare go to Ashton or Charlie again. He didn't talk to Michael and he didn't talk to Ashley, because it was obvious that they were too busy with each other.

He didn't even try and talk to Mr. Walker, because Luke feared that he was just a big bother and someone like Mr. Walker had more important things to worry about than some idiotic 17 year old boy.

He practically walked around like a zombie, just going about a very boring and very normal routine of going to school and coming home and then going to school again. On weekends he would stay in his room or the bathroom to avoid his mom, because he wasn't speaking to her either.

Luke missed Ashley, but instead of running to her house and begging her to come back to him, Luke sat in his bathroom and got as drunk as possible in attempt to forget about all of his problems. He knew it was dangerous, he knew that it was wrong, but at this point Luke didn't care anymore.

"Luke?" His mom knocked on the bathroom door, startling him. "Are you in there?"

"Uh, yeah." Luke said, clearing his throat. He quickly sat up and tried to hide the wine bottle that was sitting next to him.

"Are you alright?"

No, he wasn't.

"Yeah!" Luke called back.

"I'm going to go run a few errands, but I really want to talk to you when I get back." Liz said through the door, suddenly sounding like she was concerned.

Luke hopped up quickly went over to the door. Just hearing that his mom wanted to talk to him made Luke happy, because he felt like he hadn't had any real human interaction in so long. Just having Liz talk to him, even if she ended up yelling, would make Luke feel better.

"We can talk now!" Luke said and pulled the door open, actually looking at his mother for the first time in what felt like forever to him.

"Oh, alright." Liz looked slightly taken aback, staring up at Luke.

"Let's talk, Mom, right now." Luke nodded quickly. He was thankful that he hadn't been drinking for long, otherwise he probably wouldn't have been able to form full sentences.

"I just wanted to apologize for what happened a few weeks ago with your dad - "

"Don't call him that." Luke said, cutting her off. "Father, Mom, he's just my father."

"Right." Liz nodded. "Well, I'm sorry. I should have known that you would react that way if I just invited him over without warning you first. I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking very clearly."

"It's alright, Mom." Luke said quickly. He didn't want to give his mom the silent treatment anymore. She'd made the mistake of letting Luke's father into the house, but so what? Luke had done worse.

"No, Luke, it's really not alright." Liz said, letting out a sigh. "What he did to you was not okay and I don't know why I thought you would just accept his apology just like that."