05

The next Monday was the strangest day of Luke's entire life.

It all started in the morning, before Luke had even gotten to school. He was walking out the front door of his house, on his way to Calum's house (it was two blocks over - they drove to school together every day), when he heard a voice calling his name.

"Luke! Luke Hemmings!" He turned around to see none other than Hadley Anderson, the same girl that Luke made out with behind a bush in the tenth grade.

"Um, hello?" Luke said questionably, because he wasn't sure if Hadley was talking to him. Of course she was talking to you, you idiot. She's calling your name!

"Hi!" Hadley smiled, running down her driveway to catch up to Luke.

"Hi." Luke smiled back, giving Hadley a small wave. They didn't talk very much, even though they lived right next to each other. Hadley and Luke used to hang out all the time when they were a lot younger, but things get a little awkward after you make out with a girl behind a bush and then hyperventilate, apparently.

"What are you doing?" Hadley asked. Luke began to walk again and she followed.

"Walking to Calum's house." Luke shrugged, playing with the strap on his backpack.

"Aren't you going to school?" Hadley questioned slowly.

"Well, yeah." Luke said nervously, turning to glance at her quickly. Yep, she was still hot. "Calum drives me every morning."

"Oooh." Hadley nodded. "So Calum's, like, your best friend?"

"Yeah, I guess." Luke said, shrugging again. "We've been friends since kindergarten, he's always been around so I can't really get rid of him now."

"Cool." Hadley laughed, flipping her hair over her shoulder. "So, did you get in trouble for Friday night?"

Oh, that's why she was suddenly so interested in Luke.

"Not yet." Luke chuckled, the nervous feeling in his stomach growing even more. He'd forgotten about the fact that he can potentially get suspended or expelled or worse for what he did.

"Do you think you're going to?" Hadley asked, linking her arm through Luke's and making him flinch. The most Hadley ever said to him was "hi" or "bye" and now she was suddenly touching him.

"It depends." Luke shrugged, trying to look down at the ground and hide that he was blushing. "I don't know if any of the teachers knew that it was me."

"Well, I thought it was really cool." Hadley smiled. Luke stopped walking as he reached the corner of the street, where he needed to turn in order to get to Calum's house.

"Really?" Luke gulped.

"Uh huh." Hadley nodded, running a hand up Luke's chest. He quickly looked around them, searching for a bush. "We should really start to hang out more, Luke."

"We should?" Luke questioned, gulping again. He took a step back, trying to get as far away from Hadley as possible.

"Yeah." Hadley said, biting down on her bottom lip. Her fingers played with the collar of Luke's shirt, tugging it to the side for a second. "I mean, you could bring your friends if you want, but it would probably be a lot more fun if it was just us..."

"Uh, really?" Luke asked, his breathing picking up speed and his heart beginning to pound even faster.

"Uh huh." Hadley nodded, giggling a little at Luke's reaction to all of this. She pouted, "I miss you, we haven't hung out together in such a long time."