21

"This is not going to work." Charlie said from the backseat of the car, sipping away on the Diet Coke that Ashton had bought for her on their way to Ashley's house.

Luke was there in the backseat with Charlie, trying his best to ignore her as she fought with Ashton, who was driving. He was busy worrying about other things, like the fact that Ashley and Ashton were about to go on a date and Luke was about to go on a date with Charlie.

"Will you shut up?" Ashton groaned, glancing over his shoulder at his ex-girlfriend.

"This is not going to work!" Charlie said, louder this time. All she'd done for the entire car ride was complain, and frankly Luke was getting a little tired of it.

He understood that Charlie was obviously going through a rough time right now, seeing as she just broke up with her boyfriend, but Luke really wished that she would try to be a little positive about the situation. He was nervous enough as it was, and Charlie wasn't helping.

"It'll work, you just have to believe." Ashton said, rolling his eyes. He reached back and grabbed Charlie's drink from her, taking a big sip of it before passing it back again.

"That's what you said to me when we made that bet." Luke spoke up, taking a moment to defend Charlie.

"See, Ash, and we all know how that turned out." Charlie scowled at Ashton, sipping on her Coke again.

"Yeah, yeah, he streaked across the football field." Ashton waved his hands around in the air, disregarding what Charlie's main point was. "That's not going to happen this time, this plan is much more thought out.

"I'm a little nervous about this." Luke said, tugging at the sleeves of his jacket. He was nervous about a lot of things, but mostly about the fact that Ashton was newly single and was now going on a date with Luke's girl.

"Everything is going to be fine, dude, I promise." Ashton assured Luke as he pulled into Ashley's driveway, and that's when Luke's stomach started to do flips.

"I don't feel good." Luke said quickly, shaking his head. He literally felt like he was going to be sick, even though all he'd eaten all day was a piece of toast.

"Don't throw up in my car again, please." Ashton begged. He honked the horn to let Ashley know that he was there.

If Luke had been taking Ashley out on a date he definitely would have gone to the door and waited for her there. That was mostly because Luke didn't have a car, but also because he was more polite than his dumb friend.

"This is not going to work, this whole plan is going to fail." Luke said, his heartbeat quickening. This was just great, their whole double-date-plan hadn't even started yet and Luke was already having a panic attack.

"Hey, calm down, we'll be fine." Charlie said softly, unbuckling her seatbelt scooting into the middle seat. She rested her free hand on Luke's thigh, trying to calm him down. Really it just made him even more nervous - and a little horny.

"Act like you like each other. Kiss or hug or something." Ashton said under his breath, his eyes focused on Ashley as she exited her house through the front door and began to walk towards them.

Seconds later Ashley was in the passenger seat, greeting Ashton as he started up the car again.

"Hi Luke." Ashley turned around in the front seat, her eyes immediately traveling to Charlie's hand on Luke's leg.

"Hey Ashley." Luke gave her a wide smile, his cheeks already tinting a light pink color.

"Hi Charlie, it's nice to see you again." Ashley flashed Charlie a smile as well, suddenly not seeming as jealous as she looked.