40

"Are you ready?" Calum asked, reaching over and tapping Luke on the shoulder.

"No." Luke whispered back, shaking his head.

It was two months later and they were currently at their graduation ceremony. Luke was beyond nervous, his knee was bouncing up and down the whole time and he wasn't even paying attention to the people going up to get their diplomas.

Luke and Calum were conveniently sitting right next to each other because of their last names and that made Luke feel a little better. He liked having his best friend right there with him, it was comforting.

"You're gonna be fine." Calum assured Luke, patting him on the back again.

"I just don't want to go up there in front of all those people." Luke mumbled, looking down at his lap. The ceremony had just started and they were only on the B's, so Luke had time before he had to stand up.

"It's okay, dude, you're only going to be up there for a few seconds and then it'll be all over." Calum whispered, leaning closer to Luke.

"Everyone's going to be staring at me." Luke whispered back, shaking his head slowly.

"Yeah, that's kind of the point." Calum scoffed. "You're graduating high school and getting your diploma and the reason why we have these ceremonies is so you can be recognized for that, you did a good job and people are celebrating - "

"Just shut up, Calum." Luke cut him off, trying not to laugh at his friend.

Someone sitting in the row in front of them turned around and glared, probably annoyed that Calum and Luke kept talking.

"Turn around." Calum snapped, rolling his eyes at the girl that was glaring at them. "Anyway, Luke, you're going to be okay. You've never been nervous about getting up in front of people before, why are you so scared now?"

"I don't know... Things just seem kind of different now." Luke trailed off, not knowing why exactly he felt so scared.

He decided earlier that morning that he was just nervous because he was actually growing up. This was it, soon after graduation Luke would be going to college and maybe moving out and just being an adult. He was terrified, he'd never had to be on his own before.

"You were able to run around naked in front of an entire football stadium and you can't even get up and grab a diploma?" Calum questioned, seeming amazed with the fact that Luke couldn't do this.

"I was very, very, drunk at the time." Luke said, letting out a sigh.

"So get drunk." Calum suggested, as if it was just that simple.

"Calum!" Luke gasped. "I haven't had any alcohol for almost three months now, I'm not going to go and get drunk just for this!"

"Wow." Calum nodded slowly. "Those therapy seasons really changed you."

"That's kind of the point of them, I think." Luke shrugged.

He'd been going to see a therapist a few times a week for the last couple months, and Luke thought that they were really helping him. When Luke was upset he didn't go and get drunk to try and forget about his problems, he found other ways to make himself feel better.

"Are they at least helping?" Calum asked quietly, looking at the stage. They were onto the C's now and Calum and Luke both wanted to see Michael go up and get his diploma.

"Yes, a lot." Luke nodded quickly. They were helping, Luke felt so much better about himself than a few months before, he really felt good.

"Michael Clifford." The teacher that was assigned to read the names off said into the microphone, and Michael shot out of his seat.