20

"Luke, your hair looks fine just the way it is." Ashley laughed, trying to swat Luke's hand away from his head as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"I figured that maybe if I changed how it looked it would distract people from the big bruise on my nose." Luke shrugged, blushing a little. It was Friday, and even though Luke had gone to school every day that week people were still asking him about his nose and why it looked like that.

It was almost like the streaking all over again (and even that hadn't died down yet) people would approach Luke in the halls and say "good job" and girls would give him their numbers, even though he never wanted to call any of them. It seemed as if people had noticed Michael's black eye, too, and they thought that Luke did it, when really he was too scared to even throw a punch.

"Sweetie, I don't think anyone could be distracted from that bruise on your nose." Ashley laughed. She grabbed Luke's wrist to pull him along as they walked through the crowded hallway.

"Do you think I should dye my hair?" Luke wondered out loud, following Ashley through the hall. They were supposed to be going to their English classroom but it seemed as if Ashley had other plans.

"No. Why would you do that?" Ashley scoffed. They made it to her locker, which was apparently where she was going all along, and dropped Luke's wrist. He leaned up against the locker next to Ashley's and watched her take her books out.

"I just thought that maybe it'd be cool." Luke shrugged. Michael dyed his hair and girls loved him, so maybe that's why girls didn't like Luke. "Girls like guys with cool hair..."

"Your hair is fine just the way it is, you dork." Ashley laughed, turning poking Luke in the stomach. She slammed her locker shut and then turned around, leaning against it next to Luke.

"I mean, maybe my hair is the reason why I can't get laid." Luke suggested, even though he knew that wasn't true either. The main reason why Luke didn't get laid because he had a panic attack every time he came close.

"Your hair is not the reason why you can't get laid, Luke, I promise." Ashley laughed. Luke was wondering why she was still standing there, they had class in two minutes and now they had to walk to the other side of the building.

"Aren't we going to go?" Luke asked, looking over his shoulder in the direction of their classroom. The halls were beginning to empty now and Luke knew that they'd be late to class if they didn't get moving.

"Oh, you can go ahead." Ashley shrugged. "I'm supposed to wait for - "

But before Ashley could even finish her sentence, Luke knew what she was going to say. Brandon. He knew because only a few seconds later a guy wearing a leather jacket with dark brown hair came up behind Ashley and wrapped his arms around her waist while Luke watched in disgust.

"Hi!" Ashley smiled, turning around to face him. She pointed over her shoulder to Luke. "Brandon, this is Luke. Luke, this is Brandon."

"Hey, I've heard a lot about you." Brandon smiled, giving Luke a small wave.

"I've heard quite a lot about you too." Luke chuckled nervously, clutching his books to his chest.

Brandon leaned down and mumbled something in Ashley's ear before kissing her, and Luke couldn't manage to bring himself to look away. He was so, so jealous and instead of running away while Ashley and Brandon made out in the middle of the hallway Luke watched them. Watched.

"Uh, well, I think I should get going, maybe, because class is about to start soon and I - " This time Luke was cut off by the bell ringing, signaling that class had started and he was already late.