ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴜʀᴅᴇɴ ᴏꜰ ᴀ ᴘʀᴏᴍɪꜱᴇ

"You don't love me like you promised you would." Naruto mumbled, sitting at the edge of the bed. He leaned on his knees and stared at the ground, refusing to look at Sasuke. This thought plagued his mind that if he finally looked up, then it would be confirmed. They're over, their relationship is over.

"I didn't know how big of a responsibility that promise would be." Sasuke answered quietly with a hint of guilt in his tone.

Naruto only nodded, understanding. That happened to him once, with Hinata. He still feels bad but he knows she's not mad. So how can he be mad at Sasuke, that would be hypocritical. Wouldn't it? Or does he have the right? Sasuke fell out of love, he promised he would love Naruto forever. He broke that promise.

Can he have the right to be sad. Can he feel like he wants to throw a pillow at the wall and cry? Can he want to hug Sasuke and beg him not to leave? Is he allowed to break down? Or does he have to respect Sasuke and let him go? He doesn't want to let Sasuke go. Could Naruto handle that?

"Okay." Is all Naruto said.

Sasuke looked at the blonde sadly in return. He didn't want this to happen, not in a million years. But why should he be sad? He wasn't the one who fell out of love. He's not the one who will have to deal with the pain of loving someone that doesn't love him back.

Naruto finally looked up at Sasuke, eyes watery with tears. "Can I have a hug, at least?" He asked, voice shaky from trying to keep it together.

Sasuke nodded, moving closer to Naruto and holding his arms out. The blonde slowly crawled over and wrapped his arms around the raven, burying his head into the crook of his neck. He took in a shaky breath, trying to calm himself down with the familiar scent of the person he loved. Both squeezed just a bit tighter, knowing this would be the last time they could do this.

"I'm sorry, Naruto." Sasuke whispered.

"I'm not, it was nice while it lasted."