Untitled Part 44

"Are you sure you want to hear this?" I asked her.

Tatum looked at me and nodded. I hate even thinking about that night. It makes every hair on my body stand up when I do. I took a deep breath and nodded.

"Zack noticed you were gone. We went out back looking for you. I asked Brooks if he had seen you, and he hadn't. Then I heard this screaming that I can't get out of my head even now. I knew it was you, but didn't know where it was coming from. Then I heard it again. I heard you yelling at someone, and him yelling at you. I told Zack to get everyone. I ran straight into the woods after you." I sighed.

"It felt like it took years to find you. I could hear Gage yelling and ran towards his voice. When I came up to where you were, I froze." I squeezed my eyes shut at the memory.

"Gage had let go of you and he staggered back some. I thought I was too late. I ran and grabbed you out of the water. I knew you weren't breathing, and I lost my fucking shit. I've never felt rage like I did that night. I don't remember charging Gage. All I remember is being on top of him, and slamming my fists into his fucking face. I couldn't stop hitting him. He wasn't moving, and I kept going. I didn't stop until Matt tackled me off of him." I said, looking at her hands I was holding.

"Matt was yelling at me that he wasn't getting up again. My mind seemed to snap back to you. I panicked then. I rushed over to see Johnny doing CPR. All I could think was that I never had the chance to tell you how much I love you. That I'd never get to see you again. I was ready to shove Johnny away from you and start giving you CPR myself, because you weren't coming back. All of a sudden you coughed up a ton of water. Johnny and Jason rolled you on your side so you'd finish getting the water out. When I heard you suck in a breath, I made them all get away from you. I wouldn't let anyone touch you after that."

"I carried you to the ambulance myself. I knew the EMT's were there to help, but I didn't trust them for some reason. I demanded riding with you to the hospital. They wouldn't let me back to see you and I almost got kicked out because I was throwing a fucking fit about seeing you." I finished.

I looked up at Tatum's face. Tears poured out of her eyes silently as she stared at me. My throat feels tight as I stare at her.

"Come here, doll." I whispered, pulling her into my lap.

As soon as she was in my lap, she let out loud sobs. She's cried some since that night, but not like this. I've never heard her cry so hard before. I feel terrible, but I also know She needed to hear this. She needed to face the reality of the situation, and she hasn't. I held her tight against me and let her sob.

Tatum's sobs continued for over an hour. Neither of us spoke the whole time. I just held her and prayed like hell that this didn't make her feel worse.

By the time she was done, she was asleep. I stayed on my couch with her in my lap, and Thor's head in her lap. I wasn't leaving her alone.

I heard a quiet knock on my front door before it opened. I know it is Zack. He is the only one who knocks that way. Zack looked at me worried when he saw us.

"Hey. Haven't heard from you in days. Is everything ok?" He whispered.

"I hope so." I whispered.

I heard Tatum whimper quietly in her sleep. I pressed my lips against her forehead gently.

"You two talk yet?" He whispered.

"We did. About everything." I said quietly.

"Is she ok? Are you ok?" He asked.