Untitled Part 74

18 Months Later

I'm sure you are wondering how life has changed in this time, right?

Well....

My cancer is gone. It hasn't come back. That is a huge weight off of my shoulders. As far as children? We will get to that in a bit.

I've actually started to act normal, or normal for me again. It took months of therapy before I could stand being alone again. I'm fine with being alone now. It took Brian some time to get over his fear of leaving me alone as well. But, we went to therapy together to work on that fear. Now we are able to go places alone, and if I get scared or something, I call Brian immediately. It's only happened once or twice. I'm doing rather well.

Gage was convicted on a shit ton of charges and is spending his life behind bars. He pleaded guilty. His first chance of parole will be when he turns eighty years old. If he lives that long. I attended the sentencing hearing for my own peace of mine.

The one thing I wanted to know was why. Why did he choose me? Why come back for me a second time? I wanted answers, and I needed them in order to move on with my life. I ended up asking my lawyer to try and get the answers too.

Want to know the response?

The first time was because I was there. I was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Isn't that some shit?

The second time, well, Gage planned on killing me that night is what I was told. He said it was because he knew I recognized him. He said he knew it was only a matter of time before I turned him in. So, he came back to make sure I wouldn't talk. But, I already had. It doesn't make sense to me, and it never will.

None of it was overly helpful, but at least it was something. It gave me the final push to move on with my life.

That is one chapter in my life that is officially closed.

Surprisingly enough, I'm on speaking terms with Val and her sister. We aren't best friends and never will be, but we can get along at functions and the tension between everyone is finally gone.

Do I trust them?

Fuck no.

But I do tolerate them.

Yes, unfortunately, I do.

Matt and I get along just fine now. It took Brian some time to get past all the shitty feelings of the past, but now it's like all of us are friends. You'd never know anything bad had happened with any of us.

As for Brian and I? Well, things were going great up until this past month. What changed? I have no idea. Brian started going out all of the time, leaving me at home. I was fine for a while with it, until he started to come home shitfaced multiple times a week. It's now starting to put a strain on our relationship. I've tried to talk with him about it, but he just blows me off. It hurts. I'm really hurt by his actions, but it doesn't seem to bother him.

Take tonight for instance. He promised to be home because I was making dinner for the two of us. I have something rather pressing to tell him, and I've needed to for almost a week. I stressed to him that it was important.

Where is he now?

Not at home I can tell ya that.

"Hello?" I sighed into the phone when it rang.

"Babe, I'm on my way home." Brian said.

He doesn't sound drunk. I could be wrong though. He is officially a half hour late. I am feeling increasingly annoyed.