Chapter Fifteen

Christophe's P.O.V

I look at the pained expression written clearly on Cassius' face as he notices what I had done with the wretched Eastern filth. His insolent mouth could not go unpunished. He openly threatened us all. He deserved every last bit of what had been inflicted upon him.

Cassius' mouth opens and closes just as silently before turning towards me with a glare that could boil any man's blood but mine. I give him a lofty smile in return, even a wave. He doesn't frighten me. I know who he truly is.

My dear sweet cousin. My how the mighty can fall.

I knew it was only a matter of time before he would slip and become the disappointment I always known him to be. His brother was better suited for the throne. Everyone in this kingdom knew that. Now that he's gone it must fall to me. It has always been meant for me.

"What did you do to him?" He spits angrily. I shrug and go back to my book of battles and wars fought over the hand of a single she-wolf. It's quite interesting, more interesting than the argument about to ensue over a mere Easterner who he cares far too much for.

"Carried out just punishment like any Northerner would have done." I retort with a calm disposition and continue to flip to the next page.

"No one told you to lay a finger on him! You nearly had him killed! Do you understand what you could have created?!" He snatches the book out of my hand and throws it somewhere far off into the room causing me to sigh. Oh how my cousin loves to drawl on about minor matters.

"My dear sweet cousin, I've done nothing as bad as I've done before. You've never even cared until now." I meet his eyes finally and see nothing but rage in those amber irises of his. "Tell me, is he someone special to you?" That only causes him to flip the chair I was in over making my face instantly connect with the hard wooden floors.

"He's an important member of the visiting neighbor's pack you fool!" I let the blood run freely down my nose and gaze at his angry, pristine stature. I'm not the fool. You are.

I overheard a snippet of his conversation with that man a couple nights past. It was no mere talk amongst a king and a prisoner. It was much like the prisoner was reprimanding the king. He said he would not forgive Cassius if he were to go on and tell him. He even went on to say he would tell him the truth of what really had happened with his father which lead me to serve out just punishment.

Though I loathe my dear cousin, he will not be allowed to berate someone who stands for us all, nonetheless, fill his head with something that should just stay in the past. I wipe my bloodied nose on the side of my once clean, creme shirt and look at him with a dull expression.

He's hiding something, that much I do know. Secrets don't last forever. With time, all secrets will begin to unravel. Soon my frown upturns into a smirk. And when I do find out, I will take everything he ever held dear to him and destroy it right in front of his very eyes.

I want to see him suffer. I want him to grovel in despair at my feet and see him plead for it to end. I will make him feel what I felt every day since he rose to the throne.

"Dear cousin, you are soon to be a married man. I hope you do not do anything to hinder a peace that could be rendered with the Westerners all for the sake of your. . .how can I say this. . .lustful needs." He looks at me with wide eyes that soon narrow causing my smirk to grow. So I was right, it is a woman.

"What I do in my spare time is of no concern to you or Cecilia, cousin." He says the last word with so much distaste I end up laughing. Little do you know, I detest you so much more.

His hands clench into a tight fist making me take step back. I let another smile cover my face trying to make sure he knows he isn't getting to me when in fact he kind of is. Though he isn't as big as most fearsome werewolves, or Alphas, he is still someone to be reckoned with. He holds that aura of superiority and the confidence to take you out in less than a second. It's close to frightening. I take another step back as he advances towards me.