Chapter Nine

Cassius' P.O.V

"For one month. . .You're mine." I remember saying that. My word is my word and I had to follow through. But I never knew letting him go would make me feel so empty inside. He was mine for a month, but that month seemed like only a day. I wish I had more time with him. I wish I told him a lot more than what I did. . .

A sigh escapes me as I feel myself slowly sinking into the table. It's only been a week and I'm already feeling like this. I never should have let him go back. He's never going to come back to me. Not when he finds out who I am. Just before I can sink into more depressing thoughts Grimm comes to me with blood littered all over his clothing and on the side of his face.

"Your Highness."

I nod and look at him with some queer curiosity. What could have happened this time I wonder. . .

"There has been an attempt made on the borders further east of here." His voice is low and held no sense of worry or desperation.

"Did you handle the situation?" The Westerners are about to be put under my shoes if they don't stop with these tasteless scrimmages. I have no discourse between Alpha Camuilla, but he is making it whereas it is so.

"Yes, my lord."

"Then what is the problem Grimm?" I made no attempt of hiding my displeasure from him barging in on me with the little free time I now possess. Ever since Pierce left my temperament has been a little shorter than usual. I would snap at the little mistakes people did and said causing some minor arguments between leal allies and friends. My feelings are getting to mix into my work. It's a spelling for disaster if I don't get it under control.

"I heard from Stevens of the marriage proposal between Cecilia and you. . .I fear if you do not do something about this; they may make common cause with the Easterners. . .Your Highness."

My eyebrow raises at this as I try to keep my rising anger in control. "What are you suggesting Grimm? That I marry a wretch from the Western lands? That I give up on finding my mate to be with some woman that may or may not be planning out my death in our marriage bed?"

"She is a woman, my liege."

"A woman is just as deadly as any man Grimm. You will soon come to know that if you spent more time around the training grounds. Lily is as fierce as any man."

He continues to keep his head lowered until I tap him with my foot. "Enough with this. I know Stevens put you up to this nonsense. You know very well the truth of my situation. . .I won't bother to deny it." I lock eyes with his brown, studied eyes.

For a moment I see a flash of a smile go across his face. "So it is so. What you do and who you woe on your spare time is of no concern to me as long as you are safe."

I scoff at this while shaking my head. "I knew you would answer like that. You're so predictable."

"As you are, my lord." I can't help the smile that comes onto my face as he stares at me as a father would a son.

"Pierce. . .is my mate Grimm. Yet, he's from the lands I promised myself on my father's deathbed I would decimate. And now. . .and now I waver." I hear the weakness in my voice causing me to become a little uneasy.

"Your father wanted nothing more than your happiness. . ."

"How am I to wed anyone when my heart belongs to another?"

". . .A king belongs to his people; so a king must do what is right for his people." I blink repetitively at his answer as the meaning begins to seep down and take root into my mind. It was an idea I didn't bother to entertain until now. My stomach becomes upset along with my wolf at the prospect of doing something so harmful to our mate.