Chapter Ten

Pierce's P.O.V

I cross my arm over my heart as I keep my head bowed slightly. It's customary to keep your head lowered as you greet Alpha or any of kin. The show of respect can say volumes about your loyalty and honor is the foundation of this pack. Without. . .you mine as well become a rogue.

"I'm so glad that you made it back alive Pierce! I really am. . ." He places his hand against my face, but I continue to keep my eyes lowered and my face emotionless. He runs his fingers down my skin until he reaches my neck.

"So you can be here in time of our grief. . .We both lost someone very precious and dear to us. . ." My eyes begin to prick with tears, but I keep myself composed.

"To come back only to find out your father is no longer apart of this world must be painful. . .I should know. . .I lost mine as well." He lets out a shaky breath and gradually begins to lean into me. I feel his silent tears soaking into my shirt.

Isaac has always been on the softer side. Ever since we were pups. . .He would always run to me when something happened. A little scrape on his knee, a bump on his head. . .bullies even. I always thought of him as the younger brother I wish I always had. It really pains me to him to see him hurting this badly. Unlike all the other times, there is nothing I can do about it.

"The loss of our father's is a tremendous loss, but my father told me not to mourn his death if he died serving the Alpha. It's what he would have wanted. . . " He tugs away from me with watery eyes and all. "They MUST have done this!"

He throws me away from from him swiping at loose, angry tears. "Isaac calm down. Making assumptions-"

"Assumptions?! Assumptions Pierce?! They did this! I know they did! Whose side are you on?!" My eyes fall from his and I instantly cross my arms over my heart and bow my head down again. " My loyalty lays with you and only you. . .Alpha. I will serve you until the end of my days as my father did with yours."

"Then start acting like it!" He shoves me out the way as he leans against the wall with both hands covering his face. "The Northerners will pay for what they have done. Blood for blood."

"Your will is my hand." I say with a bit of reluctance.

". . .They killed members of your squad and held you prisoner for a month. . .AND YET you presume that I assume?"

". . .Forgive me. I may have spoke out of right not sense." I know he is hurting, but he is Alpha now. He cannot let anger and childish desires cloud his better judgement. As I thought, I knew he would be too young and unqualified for this position. But I am his Beta and I will serve him.

"No, you have right of it." I look at him as he continues to pace about the room. The sadness that was once there is gradually being replaced with hatred and anger. "As of right now. . .our pack has weakened drastically while fighting the Westerners off our territory. We cannot attack right now. I realize that Pierce. But mark my words. . .I will kill every last one of those Northerners just as my father and his father and his father's father had wished. I will make it so."

I nod my head. "For both my father and yours." My father would never want such a massacre held in his name.

"As you say, Alpha." He bristles at the title, but continues on.

"It may take a year Pierce. . .maybe two or better yet five, but I will have my vengeance. He who calls himself King of the North will know fury like no other." I can't help but think of Cassius. . .and Lily. . .and Grimm. They wouldn't have done something like this. Not all of them deserve a fate such as that. Especially not my mate. . .no harm can come to him.