Chapter Seventeen

Isaac's P.O.V

I watch my Beta walk in late. Its been a frequent occurrence since we arrived here. At face value it may seem like something normal, but not for him. He is always punctual with everything he does.

The scent of someone else is all over him. For it to be so strong tells me it must be someone of high rank here. I press my thumb against my lips and continue to eye him. He sits down across from me joining Kenzie, Tristan, Archer, Michael and the rest.

"So glad that you can finally join us Pierce." I hiss making him turn his head in my direction. "Forgive me. I had other. . .matters to address." He concedes choosing his words carefully. I nod my head and look around the table at my fellow pack members.

As Pierce once said, they are looking towards me for strength and leadership. If I show them weakness now I will be forever lost to them.

"Because of Pierce's absence at the Feast I was not able to present our conditions for peace. When another opportunity presents itself, I will make it well known we will not back down. Our pack is under new leadership. A lot of our older members have died, but that does not make us weak." They all nod their heads in agreement. "Today will be a simple gathering. I had called for the ear of the King and I will make this known to him."

I look at everyone's face lingering on Pierce's before moving on. "We have five more days left here. Let's spend it collecting information on both their weaknesses and their strengths. I don't care what methods you use to get this information just get it. Although, there is one such thing I would like to address before I say that. As my father and my father's father and father's father's father once said, there will be no fraternization with these lowly wolves. There will be no mating, no friendship, nothing of the sorts. They are our enemy."

Tristan's face is the first one I take notice of then Kenzie's. I take into account the faces of the other pack members as well. They begin mumbling and muttering under their breath. I know most of them had already developed some attachment to these wolves, but it must end today. "Failure to do so will be punishable by how I see fit." I look to Pierce and see no emotions playing on his face.

Maybe I am overreacting. . .my Beta wouldn't go so far as to like one of these wolves. Not seriously anyway. It's Pierce. He hasn't liked anyone since me.

"Understood." They say it all at different intervals causing my eyes to narrow. It lacked actual sincerity and had a lot more reluctance embedded in their voices than anything else. "They're Northern WOLVES! What is there to be so upset about?!" I yell causing everyone to lower their heads to the ground aside from Pierce.

"Our pack mates back home would be ashamed with the behavior you're displaying right now. Sure they were kind to us. Sure they made fun guests and fuck partners and all the other shit you had with them. However, did you forget about all the weres we had lost years and years ago to them? Have you forgotten the fathers, mothers, brothers, and sisters we had all lost because of them?! A couple slabs of cheese and bread is not going to strip me of the bloody past we share together." I utter causing Pierce to nod.

"You heard him. No fraternization." His voice is even and holds no room for compromise. "We will reconvene at the gathering. You are all dismissed." They nod their heads before scooting their chairs back and head out the door.

As soon as Pierce and I are left to ourselves I could not hold it in anymore. "I get that they are beautiful wolves. I can't deny that. Even the Alpha is gorgeous to look upon, however they forget themselves and it makes me so furious."