Epilogue: Penance

"Once the seed has been planted...watered...nurtured...what do you suppose happens after?" He fixed the black ribbon knotting his hair and walked towards the large, oakwood table.

"It'll grow into a tree..." a man rasped as he sat in a chair across from him eyeing the board and pieces that laid in front of him.

"A fine, strong, sturdy tree, I am hoping."

He watched as the man picked up a piece and studied it as would any curious animal would. Soon, he put it back down and set his focus onto him. As always, his glare never lacked the glower he had since he had first laid eyes upon him.

"However, I feel as though this little seed I had planted needs a little tending to."

In an instance, the piece he had been holding crushed and crumpled under the sheer, raw power of his hold.

"You see, all must go according to plan and two anomalies threaten to destroy a legacy that has existed for hundreds and hundreds of years. We have worked towards our entire lives for this day and I will not have it ruined."

His blue eyes narrowed in on the man as if he was a mere insignificant, little bug. They soon become a molten green swimming in an ocean of blue specks. The man was livid and would not be willing to cooperate, just as he thought. A hundred years would not warm him to ways of the humans.

"Consider this... your penance."

His eyes flicked up. For a moment he thought he finally won over his allegiance until the board was lifted a strewn across the floor. A snarl soon followed after causing his eyes to narrow.

"Someday you will wish you would have done a little evil to insure a greater good."

That only caused him to spit. "You are everything I despise, Sanuel," he growled which made the man smirk.

"When you have fallen...there is no way for you to rise again. Those words are familiar, are they not?"

His eyes widened at the words dripping from the man's mouth.

"However, this could be your penance, your Penance of Honor..."