Chapter Two

Pierce's P.O.V

We packed little to anything because of the long six day walk it is from our territory to the outskirts of it. We're on our last leg and I'm glad to see some life back in my packmate's eyes. I was really getting worried that I may of had to leave two of them behind.

Everyone has weak moments and at sometime or another, people begin to break a part after holding them in for far too long. That's exactly what had happened last week and I'm not willing to bring that to their attention. People were exhausted and tired. . .scarred and wounded. I see why they would break under the pressure. Who wouldn't?

"...Pierce..."

"Hm?" I look over at Samantha as she walks idly by Kenny. " You're the Beta's son...right?"

I nod.

"Then why are you here? Why are you even fighting?"

A sad bout of laughter comes from me at that question. Why am I fighting he asks. That's a question I've been asking myself for years.

"The Alpha specifically asked my father to have me trained to fight so I could be of better use to the next Alpha." Like a tool. An object, I think bitterly to myself.

"Ahh...so it's like that? Here I thought the rumors were true. "Jacob's voice chime in.

"...Rumors?"

"Isaac and you...aren't you...lovers?" I burst into laughter at this along with Kenny who has been silent the entire journey.

"Isaac? The shy guy? The Alpha's pride and joy?" I ask while laughing again. "He would never even let me lay a finger on him, even if I was." It never hurts to lie once in a while. Why give them more to worry over?

"So you're not...?"

"No. No one has even had their rightful mate in over three hundred years. What makes you think he would be mine and I would be his?" We all begin to walk in silence as that thought looms over us. None of us knew...and we'll probably never know either.

"...I'd like to find my mate, you know someone to grow old with, and have kids without worrying about them dying in war. I would like to raise my kids in peace. . .give them a life I never had, but wish I always did." I look at Kenny as my eyes fall to the ground.

That may never happen.

"I. . .I've never been kissed. I never had a boyfriend. . .I'd like to have one," I hear Samantha say as she coughs a little. Having attachments, such as a lover, during the time of war will give you nothing but grief.

"Gives you more reason to stay alive then," I hear Jacob say and I smile at this. I put my hand out in front making everyone stop as I smell the scents of Northerners nearing.

"We'll try talking to them before we attack-"

"They don't want to talk to us! They'll kill us!" Kenny yells madly.

"Even so..." I try to reason.

"Don't listen to him. We go in there and we kill them. He never said he was in charge." Jacob growls causing my eyes narrow. Samantha looks at me then back at him as a confused expression appears on her face.

"We go now!" Jacob yells and Kenny quickly changes into his wolf along with Samantha. My eyebrows furrow together as I realize what's happening.

"If you do this, they'll know you're coming Jacob! We'll be greatly outnumbered!"

"We're outnumbered already! What difference does it make?!"

It's crazy how people can make such rash decisions because they are so afraid of what might happen if they choose to look at it another way. " Didn't we say we were going to try to stay alive? If you do this-" He pushes me out the way as he transforms into his ash-brown wolf making my eyes widen.