Chapter 31

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the mate stealer." Stephanie's voice rang out behind me. Her words caused me to drop the contents my hands on the floor. I spun around to see her standing in the doorway with a smug smile on her face. I scowled at her and bent down to pick up the knife and bread I dropped.

"What do you want Stephanie?"

"I want my mate back bitch." She sneered. I rolled my eyes. I wouldn't let her get to me. The last time I did I ended up in the hospital...again. "I want my mate back and you're going to give him to me."

"He isn't your mate, Stephanie. He is mine. You have a mate. Somewhere. And you will find him. Eventually." I said discarding the soiled bread and knife. Stephanie growled and lunged at me getting in my face.

"I had him! Before you came he was going to make me Luna! You are worthless." I cringed at the name I had heard so many times but gathered myself quickly. "I am stronger, smarter, more beautiful than you could ever hope to be, and I deserve this!" She said in a whiny voice stomping her foot like a child.

"Grow up Stephanie!" I hissed. "You are an adult for Goddess sakes!"

"He is mine!" She screamed. Suddenly her body started to shake and her eyes started to glow an amber color signaling her wolf coming out. How was her wolf even allowing this? Wouldn't it want her to be pure for her mate? I heard bones crack, bringing me out of my thoughts, and looked down to see a small sandy colored wolf growling at me from the kitchen floor.

"Really Stephanie?" I said agitated. The wolf growled louder bearing its teeth. Anja, who took the challenge personally, begged me to let her out and let her kill Stephanie but I refused. I was going to teach her a lesson she would never forget. I waited for the wolf to lunge and side stepped her grabbing her in a bear-hug as she flew passed. The wolf tried to twist and bite me but I squeezed until I heard a crack! signaling her ribs breaking. The wolf whined but I didn't let her go. In an attempt at trying to get me to release her the wolf drove its head back and into my face. Pain raced through my nose and jaw but I didn't let the wolf go. After awhile she finally stopped squirming I took her outside setting her down gently on the grass.

"Are you done?" I asked her calmly sitting a foot away from her. The wolf lifted her head and growled at me. She tried to stand but I used my powers to make the grass grow around her rapidly pinning her to the ground.

"Are. You. Done?" I said again slower. "I am not going to fight with you over my mate anymore. I will not put up with it. I have more on my mind without having to deal with a spurned ex. If you are going to act like a child I will put you in time out like a child. Now. You will not leave this spot until you calm down. Am I understood?" The wolf growled at me again. Challenging me. Anja wanted to growl but I pushed it down with a deep breath.

"Stephanie!" I snapped lacing a bit of power into my voice. "Calm down now!" At the sound of my voice the wolf whined and lowered her head to the ground. "Now shift." I commanded and soon Stephanie's wolf was replaced by her human form.

"Bitch!" She sneered. I rolled my eyes. "Let me go!"

"Are you going to act like a grown up?" I asked.

"Let me go you Bitch!" She screamed. I raised my eyebrows at her tone and she squealed again.

"Ari!" I heard behind me. I turned to see Sebastian and Kale pushing through the crowd that had formed. When he laid eyes on me he slight relaxed but when his eyes landed on Stephanie tangled up in the grass struggling to get free. Sebastian took in my appearance, the bloodied and slightly crooked nose, and growled, his eyes darkening.

"What happened? I was at a meeting then suddenly I felt pain explode throughout my face. I thought someone had punched me and yelled at my men. When I realized no one had touched me and that I was fine, except for feeling like I had a broken nose that wasn't there, I had to come and find you to see if your alright. What happened?" He said in a rush.

"Well...Stephanie was acting like a child and shifted into her wolf. She tried to attack me so I put her in time out." I explained. Sebastian nodded and started to wipe the blood from my face. "So your saying you felt your nose break?" He nodded. "And this morning when I hit that doorknob. You felt that?" Again, he nodded. I nodded slightly then reached out and pinched his arm. He yelped and fell back onto his but giving me a startled look. I was surprised I didn't feel anything. Before he could speak I reached up and pinched my own arm, hard enough to draw blood, making sure it was the opposite arm of the one that I pinched on him. He yelped and grabbed his other arm giving me an even more startled look, confirming my theory. Sebastian could feel my pain. All of it. But I couldn't feel his. Why?