3. twelve

Cammie, Dustin and Erica hurried around the mall together as they looked for Robyn and Steve. They had stuck near the movie theatre because they figured neither of the older teens would be sober enough to get far.

Cammie heard singing from the bathroom and held up her hand, pointing at it. Erica and Dustin pushed the door open and they huffed. Steve and Robin were sat in a cubicle together singing.

"What the hell is going on?" Dustin said.

They looked over, staring at them for a few seconds before their eyes settled on Cammie. Steve face drained when he saw the blood and bandages on her body.

"Holy shit, Cammie, what happened?" Steve said. He jumped up and grabbed her hands. She mimed slitting her throat and he frowned. "What?" he said.

Dustin held out his hand and Cammie tapped her answer.

"The Russians slit her throat when she was trying to distract them. She jumped to the vent and we found her there and patched her up. She's alright for now but she'll need stitches for it to heal properly," Dustin said.

"Holy shit," Robin whispered. Cammie tapped something else on Dustin's hand.

"She said she's okay, she'll tell us if she isn't, but we've got Commies after us so we have to leave the mall now," Dustin said.

"Yeah," Erica said.

They nodded and Steve wrapped an arm around Cammie's waist to help her walk.

"And... blend," Dustin whispered.

The five of them wandered off with the crowd leaving the movies, blending in as much as they could with Steve and Robin in their uniform, Dustin in his weird cap, Erica with her torches taped to her bike helmet and Cammie covered in blood with a giant bandage around her neck. To translate, they did not blend in very well, but some god was smiling on them because they managed to get through the crowd.

"Well, shit, that worked," Erica whispered once they almost reached the exits.

"Course it worked. We just have to get on the bus with the rest of these plebes, and home sweet home, here we come," Dustin said.

"Uh, Dustin?" Steve said.

"What?" Dustin said.

"Yeah, we might not wanna go to your house," Steve said.

"Why?" Dustin frowned.

"Well, I might've told them your full name," Steve looked away awkwardly.

Cammie rolled her eyes.

"What is wrong with you?" Dustin scoffed.

"Dude, I was drugged," Steve huffed.

"So?" Dustin rolled his eyes.

"So?" Steve repeated.

"So, you resist. You tough it out. You tough it out like a man," Dustin said.

"Oh, yeah, it's easy for you to say," Steve rolled his eyes.

Cammie frowned when she saw people checking shoppers as they left. She tapped Robin's arm and nodded ahead.

"Guys?" Robin said. They looked over, their faces draining.

"Abort," Dustin said. The guard glanced over and his eyes met Cammie's. She stared back at him, terrified. "Abort, abort," Dustin hissed.

They turned and ran away quickly, dodging shoppers as the guards chased after them.

"Shit!" Steve hissed.

They came to the elevator and groaned. It was turned off and chains barred the entry. Cammie jumped onto the metal in the middle and slid down, the others following.