2. five

"Cam!" someone shouted.

Cammie turned around from where she, the boys and Max were sitting at the lunch tables outside at afternoon recess and saw Steve waiting in the parking lot. She ran over, looking up at him with a frown.

"What's up?" she said.

"Just checking in with you. You said that girl called you a princess so I thought I'd make sure she isn't being a bitch," he said. She laughed.

"No, we sorted it out. Thanks, though. You alright?" she asked.

"Yeah," he nodded.

"Tell me the truth," she said.

"Okay. Nancy and I broke up because she got drunk and said our relationship is bullshit and she doesn't love me. I think she likes Johnathon," he said. She winced.

"Oh, that's not good. Can I do anything?" she asked.

"Maybe rumour me into getting over her?" Steve said hopefully. She raised her eyebrows. "I know the rules. You can't do that. It's just shit. It's Nancy. It's my first love," he said. She nodded.

"I get it, Stevie. But it's gonna be fine and you know why?" she said.

"Why? And don't call me Stevie. I told you off about that," he said.

She laughed and poked his cheeks with her fingers. He rolled his eyes and pushed her backwards. She tripped over her own foot but he caught her before she fell. She laughed and he spun her around.

"You're a tit," she said.

"I want to know why," Steve said.

"Because you're a free man now so you can fuck all the bitches you want," she said.

"Language!" Steve scolded her.

"Oh, fuck off," she laughed.

He laughed and ruffled her hair, pushing her back towards her friends.

"I'll meet you at home?" he said.

"I'll be late. Dustin wants us to stay behind," she said.

"What do you want for dinner?" he said.

"We'll sort it when I get in," she said.

He nodded and watched her walk back to her friends. He rolled his eyes fondly and got in his car, driving back to his school.

"What did he want?" Mike asked.

"He and Nancy broke up last night," she said.

"No way," they all gasped.

"Who?" Max said.

"Cammie brother and Mike's sister were dating, except they broke up," Lucas said.

"Why?" Will asked.

"Nancy said their relationship was bullshit and she didn't love him, apparently. I think she might've been drunk because they were acting all lovey-dovey before they left my place," she said.

"Really?" Mike asked.

"Yeah. Nancy did the blood for me and she was fine. I told her to have fun but I didn't think she'd get shit faced," Cammie said.

"I'll ask her about it when I get home," Mike said.

"Okay," she said. He smiled at her and she smiled back.

"I still don't understand," Max said.

"Cammie's brother, Steve Harrington, was with Mike's sister, Nancy. They broke up," Dustin said.