1. nine

"I don't understand," Joyce admitted, looking up from the goggles she was taping to look at Camden and Eleven.

The three were in a classroom getting Eleven ready to find Barb and Will in her salt bath they'd set up in the school gym.

"Believe me, I don't either," Camden said.

"So, she turns up out of nowhere, she can talk to Will and now you can, too?" Joyce said.

"Yeah. There's more but yeah," Camden said.

"What can you do?" Joyce asked. Camden shrugged.

"A bit of this, a bit of that," she said.

Joyce smiled softly, knowing very well that Camden Harrington wasn't going to talk to anyone about her own troubles while Will was missing. Joyce had known Camden since she was seven and started school with the kids after being adopted and having a year of intense therapy and tutoring to catch her up to the kids her age.

She'd watched the girl grow up from afar, listening to the stories Will would tell her about their jokes and conversations in class. She had seen the smile on Will's face when he'd tell her how Camden defended him and his friends from the popular kids in school when they were mean to the boys.

But, still, she barely knew anything about the girl.

"This will keep it dark for you. Just like in your bathtub," Joyce held up the goggles for Eleven. You're a very brave girl. You know that, don't you? Everything you're doing for my boy... for Will... for my family... Thank you," Joyce took Eleven's hands in her own.

They'd decided that Eleven would go into the pool alone and if she needed to, Camden would join her. Eleven was free to use her as a power bank, though, so Camden really hoped she didn't have to. She didn't think letting her hair soak in salt water would be good for her hairs growth and shine.

"Listen. I am gonna be there with you the whole time. And if it ever gets too scary... in that place, you just let me know, okay? You too, Cam," Joyce grabbed one of Camden's hands.

"Yes," Eleven said. Camden nodded.

"Ready?" Joyce said.

"Ready," Eleven and Camden said.

Eleven stood at the side of the kiddie pool, Camden a few steps behind her while everyone else was around them. Eleven looked back at Camden nervously.

"You can use as much as you want," Camden looked at Eleven. "And if you need me, tell me. I'll get in and help," she said.

"Okay," Eleven nodded. She grabbed Camden's arm. "Sisters," she said, motioning to where the tattoo should be. Camden nodded.

"Sisters," she said.

She supposed they were sisters, in a weird way. They were both from the lab and both of them had psycho superpowers. They hadn't been raised as sisters but Camden figured if she'd still been at the lab then she would've been.

Still, Camden couldn't help but be extremely grateful she had gotten out of the lab, even if Eleven hadn't. She would not be the same person she was today if she hadn't, and seeing two of her powers in action in the void had terrified her every thought about what the lab could be like.

"Okay," Camden sighed, nodding at Eleven.

Eleven stripped her socks off and put the goggles on. Joyce helped her into the pool filled with salt. Eleven lay down, Johnathon putting static on the radio for her to go into the void with. Nancy was sat beside Camden, holding onto her hand in case Eleven had to powerbank some of Camden's energy.