CBTBB - Chapter 1 - Gregory

(Gregory )

"N-NO! D-Daddy! Please! I-I- I'll be a good boy I promise! I won't run away again! I promise! Please don't put me in the cellar!" He begged his father as he was roughly grabbed and dragged along to the door that leads to the dark dingy cellar. The man opened the door, a black hole gaped and the poor boy peed in his pants in fright. The man snorted as he knew the little boy was scared of the cellar and push the boy into the black hole "Five days in the cellar for you boy!" Slammed the door shut, locking it.

Gasping I sit up covered in cold sweat. I glance at the clock on the nightstand 02.00 am. Damn it! Groaning I fall back on my mattress, throwing my arm over my eyes. It's been awhile since I relived that particular horrible memory. I also know I won't be going back to sleep anytime soon. As I lay there in bed thinking about what could have brought on this nightmare, one name comes to mind.

Paul Freeman, my biological father.

Damn the bastard to hell and back again!

I growl under my breath as I untangle myself from my quilt. This was all because of the phone call we had received a few days prior from the maximum security prison where he and his wife Bella were staying in for the rest of their miserable lives. Apparently Bella's health wasn't the best and she passed away in jail. He had the nerve to ask me -no- to beg me to come to her funeral. I had no intention what so ever of going. No matter who said what, I was not going and that was final.

"Greg? Honey what's wrong?" I smile slightly as Zach's - my mom - sleep filled voice sounds from a mountain of blankets. "You had that bad dream again?" I let out a whining sound, confirming that I indeed had that bad dream again. Clicking on the light on the nightstand, Zach opened his arms, shifted the mountains of blankets (he isn't very fond of cold) to me and I dove in. Not wanting to think of that memory ever again, wanting to stay in the here and now. The here where I had loving parents and loving siblings. Zach says nothing as he smiles, before rearranging the mountain of blankets around us, wraps an arm protectively around my waist and turns off the light, dosing off immediately. Against all odds I too drift off into a dreamless sleep.

I wake up a few hours later, feeling well rested in an empty bed. I roll out of bed after checking for the time on the digital alarm clock; 07.30 am. Enough time for a nice hot shower, I thought to myself gleefully making my way to the family bathroom. Living in a house with two younger siblings and one family bathroom, (Zach and Tiago have an en suite bathroom) it can be hard to find time for a hot shower, my younger sister Nancy usually used all the hot water before I get my turn in the bathroom. That's why I usually shower in my parents' en suite. I really need to ask if I can get my own en suite, that would make things so much easier. After washing away the remaining signs of sleep from my body, I feel more alive. After drying myself, I found a pile of folded clothes on the closed toilet seat. Mom must have told dad about my dream last night, there was no other way to explain why there would be an old worn university sweater and a pair of old well worn jeans that are obviously not mine. Both my parents have a lot more defined muscle mass than me. I walked downstairs into the usual morning rush in our house. Mom was rushing around looking for a tie Logan made for him for his birthday, dad was grinning as he was stirring in a few pots on the stove. My younger siblings Nancy and Logan were seated at breakfast table enjoying dad's hearty breakfast.

"Morning" I grumbled as I slipped into my seat. "Morning cariño, how are you feeling?" Dad asked quietly as he sets a full loaded plate of Masterchef worthy breakfast in front of me. "Better dad, thanks." As I dig into my plate, he just ruffled my hair, giving me the look, meaning we were going to talk about it whether I want to or not. He went over to Logan to hand him his lunch as mom rushed into the room, finally found the tie he was looking for. "Good morning all!" He kisses the top of Logan's and Nancy's head as he made his way over to dad and they have a heavy make-out session. When they finally part mom turns to look at me "I have lo's car seat in your car, I can't bring him today, I have a huge meeting and I will be late if I don't leave now." He ruffles my head before rushing out and not too soon we all hear tyres squeal down the driveway. I look at Lo, who is now looking a little sad as he swings his legs back and forth, as he pouts. Usually mom drops him off on his first day of school. Putting my plate in the sink gave dad a hug and quickly going upstairs grabbing my bag after brushing my teeth. Returning back downstairs I see a very reluctant Logan and an impatient Nancy waiting for me at the front door. "See you dad, we're off to school!" Dad grinned as he walked out of the kitchen to us "Be safe kids! Have a great day!" He waved standing on the doorstep.