CBTBB - Chapter 43 - Nancy

Looking up from my perch behind the family pc, I watch in fascination as Greg passes by, muttering to himself and looking very much sleep deprived. Turning back to the screen in front of me, I scroll through all the different college programs and their requirements. Scribbling notes on the notepad beside me, things I need to ask the guidance counsellor for the courses I am interested in, I tap the pen thoughtfully against my lip. Hoping that all this preparation will help me when I get to make my choices for college in the next few years.

Surprisingly, Rafa looks as fresh as a daisy every day.

I muss as I heard Greg stomp up the stairs, most likely to hole up in this room and begin to prepare for his exams.

Then again, Rafa's parents have him nicely set up with whatever he will end up doing.

Trying not too much to think of the easygoing attitude Rafa has towards his exams, I fear he might underestimate who minimal his current scores are and how negatively they impact the scores he needs to get on his exams to get into Uni.

Luckily for me, my phone makes a sound, taking my thoughts away from all the negative thoughts. Smiling my fingers race across my phone's keyboard as I message Sasha back for a shopping spree this coming weekend.

Maybe I should work on my resume and have a look around the mall and see if they are hiring.

Clicking the browser closed, I go to documents and open my resume file and start updating it.

"Thinking of a part-time job Cookie?"

I am jolted back into the present as Dad's voice lilts in my ear as he leans against the chair.

"Yeah, I thought now might be a good time as any to look for a part-time job to add to my finances as I am planning a shopping spree with Sasha this weekend. Thought I might as well have a look around and see if they are hiring. I don't care if it is just for the summer holidays, I am getting restless and a little bored."

Clicking on the safe button, I wait for the document to be saved and when I am sure it has, I shut down the pc and look hopefully to the dining table. The fact Dad was standing behind me usually means that dinner is ready. Only to be shocked to see it empty, no steaming pans, plates or cutlery.

What is this?!

Dad chuckles at the shock on my face as he pats my head lightly. "I thought it might be a nice change to order something in, so I have your mom and Lo pick it up at the local."

Sure enough, a pair of headlights sweep the driveway as the family hatchback turns up and the engine is not even turned off when Lo jumps out of it holding a plastic back with the logo of our local on it. Mom follows not much later, clutching the rest of the bags as he locks the car. By the time he is inside, Lo is running around the room like a little tornado.

Shaking my head, I make my way over, in time to see Greg coming down the stairs looking like a zombie. Picking a little bowl, I scoop in some fried rice with chicken and pinda sauce and top it off with a small plate with chunks of the prawn crackers. to use as a spoon.

School dragged on and to end a terrible day, there was P.E. to deal with at the very end.

"I am sooo done with today." I groan as we drag ourselves to the gym building. Sasha just raises a neatly plucked eyebrow at my admission. "I just want this day to end."

"So you can go home with your boyfriend?" She snickers as she waggles her eyebrows making me laugh.

"Well, no." I giggle as we enter the building, "He has a study session with Ty about his dismal grades and probably a row about it forwards before giving in and does some actual studying."