CBTBB - Chapter 39 - Gregory

Groaning, I press my face into my pillow as I am still waiting for Tay to respond to my last text. He is never this slow. Wonder if something is up with him. The thing is that I haven't spoken to him since he dropped me off after visiting him at the gym. Even at school, he seems to be distracted and I don't like the look of the woman that drops him off and picks him up after school.

"Well," Nance's voice seems to filter through my misery and I lift and turn my head to face her. "It seems that the woman in question is Tay's dad's younger sister." Her brows pinch as she rereads a text on her phone. Her face loses a good bit of colour as the device is slowly lowered. "Rafa says that she is here to take Tay and Syl back to Italy to have them work in the 'family business'. Her fingers make quotation marks when she mentions the family business.

Meaning she wants then in them be more active in the mob business. Something Tay has worked hard for to not have any of it involve Syl or himself.

I lean up on my forearms with a frown. " I thought that Mickey guy said that something like that wasn't necessary?" I can vaguely remember Tay and Mickey having an argument in too rap Italian for me to follow. When I ask Tay about it, he said that it wasn't something to be worried about. Said it was their Italian blood coming to the boil, and that all would be well after a few days.

"Apparently that is not the case." She waves her phone as it chimes again. "Rafa says that she had a prearranged marriage to someone from another powerful family in the north, and their father hoped that this would combine their hold on the country. Sadly with his father and grandfather passing on at the same time and Gordo being here, it left a power void in the family." Nance looks drawn as if she is terrified of what is coming next. "Try as he might, Mickey isn't a real Camino blood member and they just let him think so until the void is rightly filled by a blood member."

I sit upright, a dreadful feeling pooling in the bottom of my stomach. "Like her. And she recalling them all back to Italy, for whatever she is planning." I look sadly at my phone, understanding it's sudden silence. My frown turns into determination, "She will not take him away from me. I won't give him or Syl up for anything."

As the saying goes; easier said than done, I only have time to actually see Tay during break or lunch time and then only for a few minutes, 20 tops before he gives some feeble excuse of needing to be elsewhere or checking with a teacher about his homework. The third time it happened in a week, I had enough, this farce had gone on too long already.

Time to face the music.

"Tay!" I call out to him as I see him sneak off school grounds towards a dark coloured sedan. I don't need to look inside the car to know it is that woman in there, forcing all of this shit.

It is really pissing me off. This has to stop!

Tay is like a statue, staring at me with wider eyes with every step I take. "Chambers.." I try not to let the numb mutter of my last name get to me, chin up and lock down your emotions. Don't show any weaknesses.

The fact that my mother's most whispered words are like pouring oil on the burning rage inside of me and I shake with the effort of keeping it all contained. I don't stop until we are mere inches apart, "This shit needs to stop, right now."

He opens his mouth to respond, probably going to say I don't understand. But I do, likely better than he thinks. "I will not put up with it," I state, my heart breaking, crumbling to dust inside of my chest. "I don't want to be part of this, I have seen more than my fair share of the misery we humans are capable of."

His eyes soften, and his hand reaches out to my face. "I will end it right here and now if you are going down this path. You will never see me again." Declaring these words has his hand dropping, confirming that he can't let it go, and feels that it is necessary for him to do this.