CBTBB - Chapter 32 - Nancy

The moment mom's face turned pale, I knew that an explosion wasn't far behind. Tay must have sensed it too as he straightened up, looking ready to bolt. His eyes flit around the room; looking for possible escape routes should mom explode and attack him.

"You might want to slow down there a little Corazón mío (my heart)." Dad places a calming hand on mom's arm. Dad's usually nickname for mom doesn't work as it should and it only increases his anger. "I know you are not happy with his proposal for him to take our Greg halfway around the world." Dad moves his hand up to mom's shoulders and starts massaging his tense shoulders. "That's why I called Gordo and he confirmed that he, Meredith and Sylvester will accompany them to Italy and that they will stay with Gordo and Meredith."

Mom looks up at dad suspiciously before crossing his arms in front his wide chest. "I want to hear that for myself." In a flash Tay produces his cell phone and is calling Gordo. Once he picks up he hands the phone over to mom, who reluctantly accepts it. But once he has Gordo on the phone there was no stopping him from asking all kinds of embarrassing questions. To save myself and Greg from the embarrassment, I left the room quietly.

Trudging back upstairs to my room, I let out a sigh as I drop face first on my bed. If mom was this upset about Greg going to Italy with Gordo, Meredith, Sylvester and Tay, I can only imagine how he will react as I extend the invitation Rafa made to go away for a long weekend. Just the two of us. Although I promised Rafa that I would ask them as soon as possible, I haven't found any courage to talk to mom about it.

My hand reaches out as I hear my phone chirp out the tune for an incoming text. My heart sinks a little as I see Rafa's name flash across the screen. Biting my lip, I open his text.

Hi Travolgente, I was wondering if you asked your parents about our little holiday yet. I hope that you will ask them soon so I can book the little cabin!

I sigh deeply, dropping my phone on my chest as roll over to my back. Looking at the ceiling, I grab my fleeting courage and sit up. Determined to ask mom and dad today since they will still be in shock.

"Can I help you Miel?" Dad asks as I re-enter the kitchen, clutching the phone to my chest. I look up at him as he calls me honey. A nickname that he hasn't used in a while. They called me that in the beginning because my hair was the colour of honey and I was using honey on everything I ate.

"Yeah...." Dad stops doing whatever it is in the sink and dries his hands as he turns to look at me. "It's about the summer holidays." I start but my mouth dries up as mom enters looking worried. Making me unable to continue.

"What about the summer holidays?" His voice raises a few pitches, looking at me wide eyed.

"Relax Corazón mío; I am sure that she will tell us if you give her some space." Mom seems to realise he took a threatening step towards me. His shoulders slump as he flops down on a kitchen chair on the other side of the kitchen.

"I am sorry honey," He sighs groaning lightly "I just...." I take a tentative step towards the kitchen table.

"I know mom..." I mumble, looking down at the table. "I just wanted to ask if...." I swallow hard. "If I and Rafa can go to a little holiday cabin in Hallow Creek holiday cabins for a long weekend." My voice trails off as mom looks up startled.

"When..." Mom licks his lips, taking a deep breath. "When will you go there?" Determined to not show anybody in the room his obvious anxiousness.

"According to Rafa it will be the weekend before we leave for Rain." Mom perks up considerably as I say that.