CBTBB - Chapter 38 - Taylor

Taking a deep breath, I try to mentally prepare myself for training from hell. I knew from the moment I read the personal notice addressed to me on the notice board, that I would be in deep shit. I will be surprised if I can move tomorrow morning or even after training has finished. I sigh loudly, I knew that the holiday with Greg would come back and bite me in the behind. But it is worth it though, to see him carefree like that.

Slapping my cheeks, I force myself to focus on the present, roll my head from side to side as I bounce on the ball of my feet. Let's do this! Not even thirty minutes later do I regret signing up for this class, as sweat is dripping off me in rivlets, pooling under my hands as I attempt to finish the insane amount of push-ups delegated to me my the general. Not only that, but I am one of the last few to finish, something that hasn't happened since I joined up. To make my humiliation complete, Greg timidly makes his way in the room and over to our side. My arms shake by the time I am finished and I fight the urge to flop face first on the floor. 

He sits down on the bench, slowly taking in the room and all the others that are doing their own thing in the ring, or crunches, or jumping rope. The general smiles brightly at me as he holds out the rope to me, knowing fully well that I loathe that exercise more than anything. "You know the drill." Giving him the most venomous glare I can muster in my exhausted state, I take the rope and wind the ends around my hands, testing the length of the rope and see if it is long enough. As the monotone thumping sounds from the rope hitting the floor, I can hear the general speak to Greg. "Are you looking to join us?"

I can see Greg start at being addressed, his leg bouncing in nerves. Doubt clouds his face and his teeth worry his lips in indecision. "I am not too sure, but..." He looks around the room and sees one of the guys land a solid roundhouse kick to his opponent and sends him on his knees. "It might be handy to know a few things." It seems that is all the general needs to hear as he walks over to the desk hidden away in the corner and hands Greg a gym pamphlet.

"Go over this with Taylor and give me a ring if you decide to take a free lesson so I can assess your current strength and devise a plan to help you. Okay?" Greg nods hesitantly and the general claps his hands, announcing the end of the training and not a moment too soon. My muscles are screaming as I slowly wind down the spinning of the rope, walk across the floor and help put away the rest of the equipment.

"So what brings you here?" I bit back a groan as I lift my gym bag over my shoulder and head towards the locker room. The fact that Greg is nervously twisting the hem of his oversized shirt in his hands, one of Zach's I think, gives me a good idea why he came here.

He doesn't answer as I undress and hit the shower. With a sigh of appreciation I step under the hot water. "I think it will come in handy to know at least the basics. And I have to see if I have time to come as I have my own training." He mutters and I realise that I totally forgot about his volleyball training after school three times a week with the odd tournament every other weekend.

"Well the offer is an open offer. Meaning you can go when it suits you, you don't have to go when I do." I assure him as we make our way to the car and I briefly wonder how Greg got here in the first place, but he answers that question for me without being prompted.

"When I told dad about the tournament you were in and how easy you make it look, he checked it out online and said it might be a good idea to know at least the basics and he was very enthusiastic when he realised the gym was close. And you know hard it is for dad to be enthusiastic about anything." He settles in the passenger seat turned slightly so that he can look at me.

"True, your dad is hard to persuade besides anything that involves your mom." Grinning, I remember the time Zach had the bright idea to book a sauna for him and Tiago. Greg's dad kept stating that it was a waste of time and money, only to come back on it when Zach said it was his idea and it was for the two of them. Of course Greg blushes at the mention and I have the idea that he has another encounter in mind.