CBTBB Chapter - Chapter 45 - Taylor

UNEDITED

College.

The word is heavy, full of responsibility. Now it is here within my grasp finally, I am taken aback by the hesitation of the responsibility. 

Do I want it? 

Am I ready for it? 

Do I need it? 

The answer presents itself promptly as I watch Greg smile at something Nance said but he looks up at me, eyes shining with happiness and contentment. 

Yes, I am ready for it and I am sure we will survive the four years apart. Greg's parents did, then so can we. 

Even though it is a happy gathering and both our parents are proud, I get the feeling Syl isn't feeling it. He sits there smiling and chatty alright, but it is only superficial. It doesn't reach his expressive eyes and it doesn't make him shine like usual. Syl is talking to Lo but I can see his face slowly fall as he keeps mentioning 'Sean this, Sean did that and Sean said so and so.' The words seem to be digging into him and I get the feeling that he is gradually shrinking away from the words. His face might be all bright smiles and giggles, I am sure that his heart is bleeding. Syl has never been one for passivity but he hates fights and rows. Our rumbustious family has thought the both of us that to win a fight or a row you need to think quickly and on your feet from a young age, but Syl was never like that. He is more the type to walk away and come back to spring a surprise attack on you when you least expect it. Meaning he will survive this, whatever it is with Lo and come out on top. Still, it worries me that he is feeling that he can't compete with Sean and be Lo's friend too. 

"Are you going to tell me what is bothering you piccolo uomo?" The words have barely left my mouth when we enter my bedroom at home and he surprises me by bursting out crying, flinging his small and skinny arms around my neck. His howling had attracted Meredith's attention, her head peeped around the door, saw Syl clinging to me, smiled softly and shut the door again. "Talk to me piccolo uomo." 

Instead of talking freely to me like he used to, he just sits dejectedly on my bed, softly hiccuping and wiping at his eyes now and again. "I want to be his friend too..." His voice is soft, as he looks at his wringing hands after a good while of silence. "But I don't like the things that he says about or does to others." He looks up at me with teary eyes, "I don't wanna lose Lo to him."

Even though I manage to reassure him that Lo will be his friend too, the look in Syl's eyes stays with me. He looked so dejected and sad, I ended up just hugging him to my chest, humming his favourite lullaby until he fell asleep. The next few days are hectic enough for me to forget the whole thing until a week later, I notice Lo, Sean and Syl out on the street in front of Lo's house and another kid that I only recognise as I have only seen her hanging out in the house on the opposite row a few doors down. The skinny girl tumbles down as Sean clearly gives her a hard push and Syl is the first with her, asking her questions and helping her up. Then my mouth drops as he actually punches Sean hard in his stomach. "There is no need for you to be that mean to her."  His little chest is heaving and he has his hands tightened in small fists "Pick on someone your own size."

The fight has me park my car haphazardly, and running up the lawn. Where Sean is all reckless anger, Syl, is the picture of calm and control. A couple of well-placed trips and shoves, send Sean sprawling on his back. That is until an older guy lifts Syl by the front of his shirt making Syl cry out in pain. "The FUCK you think you are doing?!" The words roar across the space separating us as the man lifts his fist and punches Syl full in the face, causing his nose to spurt out blood. He lands on the floor with a thud and clutches his nose. Sean makes an attempt to reach him, probably wanting to take him on now he is down but thank GOD Zach is there and stops him, grabbing him by the scruff.