12

"Pain and pleasure, like light and darkness, succeed each other

"Pain and pleasure, like light and darkness, succeed each other." Sterne

Tom watched as the conference room filled with his men. He watched them talk and sit down on the same chair they usually did. Most of them looked pissed about having to come in during the middle of the night, but Tom couldn't care less. It was their job, they had to deal with it. Tom stood at the end of the table, Harrison sitting besides him like always. He had his arms crossed against his chest, ready to lead the meeting. The man waited a few seconds before opening his mouth to speak, shutting everyone up instantly.

"John Sinclair nicely introduced himself this evening. He said he wanted his daughter back because she's worth too much and I want to know why. I want every single one of you to look for answers. I don't care who you have to torture and how you're going to get them, but I want answers." Tom barked, his fists keeping him steady against the table as he leaned over it. "I want to know why he suddenly wants her back, I want to know why he said that she's worth to much, everything. As soon as you find something, I want you in my office telling me everything you found. Is that clear?" He ordered and looked every single men in the eye, watching each of them nod in his direction.

"Good. You're all dismissed, except Josh. You stay." Harrison continued and Tom turned to him with a frown on his face. What the hell did he want with Josh? Tom reminded himself of what happened before the event, but he had more important things in mind than dealing with this good for nothing-dick-for-brain guy. Alexina was safe in her room, he couldn't do shit to her.

"Yes, boss?" Josh asked confidently, standing up from his chair and approaching Harrison. Harrison got up from his chair as well and stood right in front of Josh, towering over him. Harrison was taller than most men in the mob, yet he was the sweetest of them all - Tom had rarely seen him act so intimidating.

"If I so much hear about you wanting or thinking about getting closer to Alexie, you're a dead man. I'll hand you over to the rats with no regrets. Am I clear?" Harrison spoke, his voice toneless yet Tom could clearly tell he was angry. He instantly worried, what had he heard? Was there something more to it than Tom knew? Hand over to the rats was an expression they used to threaten one of their men about torturing them and leaving them to rot.

"Yes, boss." Harrison nodded and dismissed him, following his every move until he was out of the room.

"What the fuck was that all about?" Tom asked, confused about his best friend's behaviour. Harrison turned to face him and ran his fingers through his hair as he sighed loudly.

"Fucking dick went ahead to knock on Alexie's door to apologize ," Harrison air quoted, "Pen said he hugged her and touched her ass, like he was seducing her or some shit." Tom felt the anger rising from the pit of his stomach to his head, he clenched his fists tightly and screwed his jaw shut.

"What'd she do?" He meant Alexina, but Harrison thought he meant Penelope. So he frowned and explained everything he knew.

"Well she helped Alexie push him away because apparently he was holding her tightly, but she noticed that when her hand grazed Alexie's shoulder, she flinched hard. Penelope didn't question her but it worried her enough to actually tell me. There's something we're missing." Harrison told Tom, who sighed and pinched his nose, exhausted from everything that was happening.