5

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark ; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light"Plato

Plato

Diner was served at the big table in the dining room. Tom - or H- made her sit at the head of the table as he sat at the other head. It was intimidating to say the least, she felt like all eyes were on her. She grew a little more comfortable once she saw Harrison and who seemed to be his wife walk into the room. She sat on Alexie's left and Harrison on her right. Two other men were sat at the table but Alexie had never seen them around in the past two days she had been there. She didn't question their presence but she did wonder about Josh. Where had he gone off to?

A maid served the plates around the table as heavy silence filled the room. They all dug in except for Tom, who waited until everyone had started to take his first bite. Alexie took notice of that and thought it was odd. She tore her gaze away from him when he glanced her way. She put down her fork and waited for H's reaction- if he were to react of course. She wasn't sure exactly why she was trying to anger him so much. It wasn't like her to do something like this at all, especially not considering that the man in front of her is part of a mob.

She was taught to listen, shut up and be pretty around arrogant and intimidating men - well men in general. But there was something about him. Something that told her to test his limits, see how far she could go before he would hurt her. A little part of her even pushed her to believe he wouldn't hurt her at all. But that was just stupid to Alexie, because no way in hell a mob boss would think twice before hurting someone that he's holding hostage. Even if they claim that they don't hurt innocent people.

"Not hungry puppet?" He spoke out loudly, not shying away from the girl's taunting behavior. He smirked as her cheeks turned slightly red, proving to him that she hadn't actually thought about her next step. Tom saw her chest heaving as she inhaled deeply - trying to hide the blush that was creeping on her cheeks. She huffed out as she shook her head.

"No actually," She suddenly regained her previously lost confidence and stood her ground as she starred right back at H, "May I be excused, sir?" Alexie politely asked, not really looking for anymore trouble. Tom's smirk stayed plastered on his face as she called him sir, only giving her a short nod in response. She pushed her chair back and gently stood up - taking her plate back to the kitchen where the maid took it from her. Alexie thanked her and offered her a kind smile before walking back to her room.

She didn't quite regret leaving the table like that because she always felt weird eating in front of strangers. The woman decided that she'd try to sneak downstairs later on that night to get something to eat, as she wasn't trying to starve herself either. As she sat on her bed, her thoughts circled around the men downstairs. Who were they? What did they do in the past to get where they currently are? Why is Penelope staying with Harrison if he's dangerous?

Downstairs, Harrison was eying Tom - trying his best to understand what the hell just happened in front of his eyes. Tom wasn't one to let people excuse themselves from the table. It was a weird thing he had about needing everyone that stayed with him to be well fed. He hated when people skipped meals or refused to eat for weight purposes as he was a strong believer in health through alimentation. Harrison always thought it was a weird trait of Tom's, but also saw it as his own way of caring for the people around him.

His best friend wasn't one to keep people hostage in his own house either. Harrison knew what it was about Alexie that made Tom want to keep her hostage, but he was confused about why he was so insistent on making her stay with them. It was a series of weird events and facts that didn't sit well with Harrison, but he knew better than to ask Tom about it- and especially in front of everyone. So he looked away from the man and back to his plate, sticking his fork in a piece of broccoli before bringing it up to his mouth. He made a mental note to keep on observing Tom and Alexie so he could assure everyone's safety.

Once everyone was done with their food, the maid came by to clean up everything as Tom thanked her shortly for the meal. She simply nodded at him and went on with her task. Two men stayed back to drink a beer and talk whilst Harrison left the house with his wife, the two deciding that a night out wouldn't hurt. Tom got up and left the table as well, kissing Penelope's cheek and doing a signature handshake with Harrison as a way to wish them a good night. As soon as they left, he went straight to his office where he spent the rest of the night working and figuring out his next move.

A few hours of boredom later, Alexie pushed her ear against the door - trying to figure out if there was any noises in the house. She had heard the front door closing twice that night so either someone had left and comeback, or she was alone with Tom - if Harrison and his wife had left followed by the two men she didn't know. Her stomach had been rumbling like crazy for the past hours and she was starting to feel a bit faint - she had never gone so long with food. Needless to say that she would never survive long without food, she just wasn't made for it.

Alexie pushed the door open slowly and tiptoed out of the room. She was only dressed with a pair of shorts that was hidden by her large shirt falling down to her mid-thighs so she prayed to God she wouldn't cross paths with someone else. Judging by the alarm clock on her nightstand, it was midnight so she was pretty sure she wouldn't meet anyone in the dark hallways - but you never know. She stepped down the stairs as quietly as she could and made her way directly to the kitchen - letting out a sigh of relief once she made it without seeing or even hearing anyone else in the house.

She looked through the fridge, finding the plate she hadn't touched wrapped up so it wouldn't go bad. Alexie smiled to herself at how thoughtful the maid was and grabbed the plate. She heated it up in the not so silent microwave, hoping it wouldn't catch anyone's attention. She was so concentrated on the task at hand that she didn't even noticed the man leaning against the kitchen's entrance. Once she heard fingers tapping against the wall, the woman jumped and held a hand over her heart as she gasped out loud. She was now facing the man who scared her out of her mind. He was smirking at her, proud that he caught her off guard.

"Changed your mind about the food?" He spoke in his husky voice, the smirk on his lips never leaving. Alexie looked back at the microwave then back at H and simply nodded in response. She took the plate out and strolled straight to the dining table. She tried to ignore his stare so she could eat, but it made her too nervous. She couldn't.

"Would you mind?" Alexie said, her voice croaky from not talking out loud for hours. She cleared her throat and looked back down to her plate. From the corner of her eye, she saw him move towards her instead of away from her like she wanted. The woman raised her head slowly and looked at him as he sat down next to her. She was sitting at the same place as earlier but she was wondering if she should change seats so he wouldn't be so close to her anymore. They sat in silence for a few moments, both wondering different things about the person next to them.

"Go ahead, take a bite Alexina." Alexie froze at the mention of her name but she didn't dare look up at him. His voice was laced with venom and the way he said her name gave her goosebumps- and not in a good way. "Mmh, don't like that name so much, uh puppet?" He mocked, leaning closer to her in a much more intimidating way. There was a reason why she didn't use her name and hearing him say it like it was nothing - just to get a reaction out of her - angered her a lot more than he'd think. "Why are you hiding, Alexina?" This time, his voice was much lower and he wasn't trying to intimidate her anymore. He needed the information and he knew he wouldn't get it out of her by angering her. Tom had to get on her good side.

"I'm not hiding." She swallowed harshly, looking down at the plate as she stabbed her fork in the food. "I'm escaping."

__________________
Thun thun thunnnnnnn

VOTES AND COMMENTS make me happyyyyyyy!

I hope you guys like where this is going bc I'm exciteddd!