8

The next few weeks went by quickly

The next few weeks went by quickly. Penelope was keeping Alexina busy whilst the men went to work somewhere else. She had discovered how huge the backyard was and she absolutely loved it. Both girls spent most of their time there, making the most out of the last month of the warm temperature outside. They swam, they read, they tanned, everything you could think of. The outside set up was perfect for everything and Penelope went as far as asking Harrison to set up some hung up bulb lights so they could go outside during the evening.

At 9pm, Alexina headed outside while everyone was busy doing God knows what. She went across the back yard and stepped onto the fake bridge that lead to a seating area. The woman bent down and plugged in the lights. She made her way to one of the outside couches and made herself comfortable with a blanket Penelope had given her.

After her conversation with Tom, she hadn't seen much of him. He spent his time working or ignoring her, like he did the first few days she was here. It pissed her off a little because she was starting to think he was warming up to her a little, but maybe that was just him pitying her. He gave her the explanations she needed to keep going and that was it. The only kind of interaction they had was when Alexina got up late at night to finally go eat. She always found her plate heated up around the same time every night. She knew it was Tom's doing, because he was the only one who knew about her always eating so late at night. The woman appreciated the attention.

"Daydreaming again?" A voice teased from another seat, grabbing Alexina's attention instantly and making her jump slightly. She clutched her chest as she breathed in and out deeply, calming herself down.

"Well not anymore." She answered back, glaring at Harrison who simply laughed at her. Since she got closer to his wife, Harrison and her grew closer as well. He acted like an older brother to her and it made her feel much more comfortable in the house. Harrison handed her a heated up plate of pastas and she smiled gratefully at him. She took it as well as the fork and dug in.

"Tom's treat." Harrison added, looking at her for a while to see what her reaction would be. To his surprise he didn't get much except for a nod. She noted that he took the liberty of calling him by his real name in front of her.

"Thank you for bringing it." She sincerely told him and he nodded in response, eyebrows furrowed as he glanced at her. She knew what he was getting to. "He's been heating up my food later at night for the past month or so because I never come down to diner."

Harrison simply nodded, choosing not to answer that. "He said he told you about your father."

"Yeah. Dark plot twist, uh?" She half heartedly laughed, glancing up at him quickly before turning back to her food. Harrison could tell she wasn't genuine. Even though she was always sarcastic and strong in front of him, he knew it was a front.

"How you holding up?" He decided to ask, it wouldn't hurt after all. Harrison thought she would lie about it, wanting to keep her walls up and all - but turns out he was wrong.