9

"I envy people that know love

"I envy people that know love. That have someone who takes them as they are." Jess C Scott.

Steam evacuated from her cup as Alexina sat on one of the outside couches. The morning light beamed around the sunshade over her, offering the warmth she couldn't get from the blanket laying over her lap. The young woman had woken up quite early this morning, perhaps it was the nerves of having to go to an event tonight, or maybe it was the fact that Tom actually told her it was okay for her to call him by his first name and then joked with her. She couldn't tell, maybe it was even both.

The birds chirped and the wind made the leaves that had fallen from the trees rustle as they moved across the yard. It was a beautiful sight on an early autumn afternoon, Alexina's favorite season. She wore a long sleeved sweatshirt and skin tight short underneath it - they were hidden by the long shirt. Her high socks warmed up her toes as her coffee warmed up her fingers. She felt good, she felt safe and at peace - which she hadn't felt in years. A soft smile flashed across her lips as she took in the scenery around her, appreciating every seconds of it. Nothing made her happier than a well decorated backyard in an autumn scenery.

After a few minutes, maybe even an hour, she heard footsteps approaching her. The woman turned around and was met by Penelope, dressed in pyjamas pants and a sweatshirt (probably Harrison's), her hands also holding a cup of coffee. The married woman offered her a smile as she sat down on the couch opposite her.

"Good morning," Alexie smiled back at her and greeted her politely. Penelope looked great like always, she was starting to think that this woman didn't have a single flaw. She could totally tell why Harrison chose her.

"Good morning, ready for a little trip around town today?" She exclaimed happily, her accent thick which made Alexina chuckle lightly.

"Yes, it'll do me good I think." The woman answered, smiling softly. "Getting out of the house to go somewhere else than this beautiful backyard is going to feel so good." She added, making Penelope nod in agreement as she sipped on her own coffee.

They spoke for a little while, Penelope sharing a little bit from her experience with these mob events. She told Alexie that not much usually happened, it was mostly deals being made or sealed - at least that she saw. Penelope explained that she was pretty sure other things happened, but she didn't know what and she never asked. She preferred to stay by Harrison's side and not speak a word to people she didn't know. She felt safer that way. This made Alexie wonder, what something going to happen tonight? Would Tom actually trade her for money - or guns, like her father originally wanted? The thought scared her. She had her fair share of mistreatment from her father when she was young and then with Ryan when she got older. She didn't want to go back- not that she was treated like a princess here, but at least she had some kind of protection. Tom had been rough the first few days, but never actually hurt her and as days went by, she was starting to believe he wouldn't actually hurt her.